View Single Post
The Rak
07-22-2009, 10:31 PM

The road to the soaring power of Lateralus was a bit rough in spots tonight as the band played its fourth show in five nights, which was also the fourth stop on the current minitour. In order to get to the power and the beauty, the band had to get past a few spots that felt like they were rusty and under rehearsed, which is the sense I got during Rosetta Stoned as the band pointedly hit the accents as if to keep from drifting off. Danny is a superhero of the drums who at times seems to be the conductor, reining in the band to move from one section to the next.

Maynard seemed to slow down his delivery on Jambi and Adam's plying seemed to want to stretch out the phrasing in several songs with a slow legato delivery. Lots of new guitar parts, new to someone who only saw them twice on 10K. It's like Adam is trying to stretch out within the framework of existing material. The dual drum thing in Lateralus with the Tweak Bird guy and his WMD playing was amazing.

May add more tomorrow, but I am exhausted. Bottom line: love the band, may have had a bit of an off night. The crowd loved it. Think a friend made the leap to the floor, a friend's kid crowd surfed and almost made it on stage.

Last edited by The Rak; 07-22-2009 at 10:34 PM..
Old 07-22-2009, 10:31 PM   #6

Bincount™: 31
Re: 07.22.09 - Rio Rancho, NM @ Santa Ana Star Center

The road to the soaring power of Lateralus was a bit rough in spots tonight as the band played its fourth show in five nights, which was also the fourth stop on the current minitour. In order to get to the power and the beauty, the band had to get past a few spots that felt like they were rusty and under rehearsed, which is the sense I got during Rosetta Stoned as the band pointedly hit the accents as if to keep from drifting off. Danny is a superhero of the drums who at times seems to be the conductor, reining in the band to move from one section to the next.

Maynard seemed to slow down his delivery on Jambi and Adam's plying seemed to want to stretch out the phrasing in several songs with a slow legato delivery. Lots of new guitar parts, new to someone who only saw them twice on 10K. It's like Adam is trying to stretch out within the framework of existing material. The dual drum thing in Lateralus with the Tweak Bird guy and his WMD playing was amazing.

May add more tomorrow, but I am exhausted. Bottom line: love the band, may have had a bit of an off night. The crowd loved it. Think a friend made the leap to the floor, a friend's kid crowd surfed and almost made it on stage.

Last edited by The Rak; 07-22-2009 at 10:34 PM..
OFFLINE |