View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: (-) Ions of Ænima

Thank-you for the kind words, Rivek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
the waning days of the lateralus era were the last days of global high-quality tool-related discussion here.
I think that album did some interesting things to the fanbase. It was a bit of a soft answer to an audience that wanted badly to get pummeled. I was around off and on back then, so I know what you're talking about. There was a lot of bitching about how the album turned out, but there was also a different openness to a lot of the ideas that Tool were introducing. Lateralus opened a lot of minds.

Consequently, a lot of those people matured and left this place because there has always been a propensity for nasty flaming here. People with interesting ideas have always been routinely hammered for not knowing everything in the FAQ, and I definitely experienced that. I had to develop my own ideas about the band away from here, sometimes conversing with the few people I actually know who are fans of the band, but usually on my own.

Tool are an old band, but I think discussion of their art could flourish again if the forum takes a turn towards being a bit more forgiving with new folks/ideas. The crowd that arrived with 10K Days was definitely a bit young and inexperienced, but people have to start somewhere. There will be more people coming out of the woodwork with the new tour, and also when the Pot video eventually gets released. There is always much to be gained from perspectives that haven't been beaten down.