View Single Post
Opiate_Mass's Avatar Opiate_Mass
04-30-2006, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tDoXoMl
I find that many people (being the clever listeners they are) can find many similarities between alot of different songs (especially this here new Tool album). And thats not a bad thing, artists do influence eachother alot in the sounds that they choose to use. Maybe this album does sound like dream theatre (but would tool listen to a whiny singer like dream theatres?) You can reach all you want in an attempt to gather comparisons and influences, but at the end of the day, a note is a note and tone/effect is an attempt to differ their sound from that of other bands.

Music is as full a spectrum as colors and to transcend that boundary is the only way to make truly unique music. Fuck ill get flamed cuz i may have just stated a complete pile of bullshit. But this is how i see things.

You know what? Find similarities! if you want other bands to seem greater because Tool copied them, then go ahead ya silly fanboys... lol. I think a lesser experienced/skilled guitar player like adam will eventually HAVE to run into riffs and sounds hes used in the past. But hey, if all he can do is use the same scales and patterns then let him, hes a tonal genius and he'll get killer sounds out of those notes that he knows well. He uses the parts of the guitar that he is familiar with for a reason, SO HE CAN MAKE TOOL SOUND AS GOOD AS POSSIBLE. You cant say hes an un technical guitar player and then shun him for not experimenting.

Maybe im wrong but all the other members are practically virtuoso's so i dont see a need to defend them. Do they rehash old material as well? You know, they might. And while they do probably want to keep a sound that they are more familiar with, i also think that they have alot of room to experiment. I think thats why this album seems so different yet so "re hashed" at the same time. Shit, none of us were expecting this album. Right now my only question is, are you guys still gona hate this album in 2 months? Sorry, i have a way of addressing different issues at once...

Thank You
Right in Two...
Old 04-30-2006, 03:51 AM   #39
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 49
Re: Why music will never sound different

Quote:
Originally Posted by tDoXoMl
I find that many people (being the clever listeners they are) can find many similarities between alot of different songs (especially this here new Tool album). And thats not a bad thing, artists do influence eachother alot in the sounds that they choose to use. Maybe this album does sound like dream theatre (but would tool listen to a whiny singer like dream theatres?) You can reach all you want in an attempt to gather comparisons and influences, but at the end of the day, a note is a note and tone/effect is an attempt to differ their sound from that of other bands.

Music is as full a spectrum as colors and to transcend that boundary is the only way to make truly unique music. Fuck ill get flamed cuz i may have just stated a complete pile of bullshit. But this is how i see things.

You know what? Find similarities! if you want other bands to seem greater because Tool copied them, then go ahead ya silly fanboys... lol. I think a lesser experienced/skilled guitar player like adam will eventually HAVE to run into riffs and sounds hes used in the past. But hey, if all he can do is use the same scales and patterns then let him, hes a tonal genius and he'll get killer sounds out of those notes that he knows well. He uses the parts of the guitar that he is familiar with for a reason, SO HE CAN MAKE TOOL SOUND AS GOOD AS POSSIBLE. You cant say hes an un technical guitar player and then shun him for not experimenting.

Maybe im wrong but all the other members are practically virtuoso's so i dont see a need to defend them. Do they rehash old material as well? You know, they might. And while they do probably want to keep a sound that they are more familiar with, i also think that they have alot of room to experiment. I think thats why this album seems so different yet so "re hashed" at the same time. Shit, none of us were expecting this album. Right now my only question is, are you guys still gona hate this album in 2 months? Sorry, i have a way of addressing different issues at once...

Thank You
Right in Two...