Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
46 & 2
Lateralus
Aenema

As mentioned before, no major alterations to the set from the previous week's shows. Seemed longer with the interludes and segues.

This was my 19th show, and was a great experience. Whereas catching last year's tour was force of habit for me, this was a last minute, much debated, very deliberate choice. I didn't pick up tickets until the day before, thank you e-bay. And thanks to everybody who posted reviews here last week, it was you guys that convinced me this one would be worth the trip. And it was.

Wovenhand was, I thought, very interesting. And quite good. The singer totally reminded me of Owen Wilson's character in 'The Royal Tenenbaums'. I'm going to have to check them out some more.

I'm not sure that I've ever been to an arena where the GA floor was divided into a front and a rear half. I thought it was weird, but it was completely irrelevant to me, as I had seats :)

We were in the 1st section of the lower bowl on Justin's side, about 10 rows back. The crowd was good in our section. On their feet the whole time and moving and making a lot of noise. Justin was looking at us a lot, and waved at us once like 'Let me hear it!', which got a nearly hysterical response. Great view of the stage and the band, except Danny's head was perfectly concealed by a cymbal. Kind of odd only being able to see his torso and arms, but still cool. He had the 'melted down Paiste' bass drums out... but apparently he's replaced some of the toms with roto-toms. I thought I saw some of the old Simmons pads in there as well, which was interesting- I thought it was all Mandala pads now. Anyway, MJK did come off the riser with the cell phone early on, and was pretty animated throughout. Adam was Adam, stoic as always.

I'm lucky enough to have seen the band perform every song from this set previously, and my comments are based on that, compared to what I've seen before.

Third Eye- One of the main reasons I wanted to see this set, it's been forever since I saw it. Great way to start the show & set the mood. Overall, I felt like it didn't quite have the... stability? Not sure what word I'm looking for, but it was loosey-goosey there at times. There was a brief new extension near the end that was cool. Pulled it in pretty tight at the end.

Jambi- I honestly would have said the looseness of Third Eye was intentional, had it not been for Jambi. Just seemed like they were having trouble getting locked in. I don't think they really got settled until the talk-box solo. From there to the end was perfect.

Stinkfist- Just what we needed at that point, a little more straight forward, and super tight. I love the extension to this song, and Oh My God, Danny shreds on that part. His arms were literally just a blur playing that hi-hat part. It was amazing. I definitely heard MJK say 'Show Me' or 'Show Me Something' at the start of the extension. Not being from Missouri, I didn't interpret it as a reference to the state motto at all, as was previously suggested. It made me think of the extra verse from the OTRM version of Prison Sex. Interesting.

Vicarious- Pretty straight, and very solid. I'm somehow not as bothered by MJK not singing the outro on this one, when it's not the closer...

Eon Blue Apocalypse/The Patient- Awesome. I was lucky enough to see this one during the Lateralus tour, and I'm glad that more people got to do so now. It really translates well, live.

Intolerance- Great to have Undertow era songs still in the rotation. Loved the 'murky' feel of the red lights and album art. This also makes me feel old, as MJK once again pointed out that a fair percentage of the crowd was either not conceived or very young when this was new.

Schism- No surprises. The double-time extension still makes this one really rock the house. Personally, I'm about at the point with this song that I was at with 'Sober' before it faded out of the rotation. I've probably just seen it too many times :)

46 & 2- On the other hand, this one never seems to get old. Really solid. Vaguely annoyed that the moving LED screens were lowered to a point where they obstructed my view of Danny during this song. Watching him play that breakdown is always so great.

Lateralus- The guest drummer thing. Seemed to take a long while before it really went anywhere interesting. It was funny watching MJK just sorta lean on his mic stand and observe.

Aenema- The last 2 or 3 shows that I've been to didn't include this one, and I have to say it was nice to have it back. I like it a lot better than Vicarious as a closer, personally. It's just such an awesome statement. Time to bring it down again.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 06.26.2010 - St. Charles, MO @ Family Arena

Third Eye
Jambi
(-)Ions
Stinkfist
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
46 & 2
Lateralus
Aenema

As mentioned before, no major alterations to the set from the previous week's shows. Seemed longer with the interludes and segues.

This was my 19th show, and was a great experience. Whereas catching last year's tour was force of habit for me, this was a last minute, much debated, very deliberate choice. I didn't pick up tickets until the day before, thank you e-bay. And thanks to everybody who posted reviews here last week, it was you guys that convinced me this one would be worth the trip. And it was.

Wovenhand was, I thought, very interesting. And quite good. The singer totally reminded me of Owen Wilson's character in 'The Royal Tenenbaums'. I'm going to have to check them out some more.

I'm not sure that I've ever been to an arena where the GA floor was divided into a front and a rear half. I thought it was weird, but it was completely irrelevant to me, as I had seats :)

We were in the 1st section of the lower bowl on Justin's side, about 10 rows back. The crowd was good in our section. On their feet the whole time and moving and making a lot of noise. Justin was looking at us a lot, and waved at us once like 'Let me hear it!', which got a nearly hysterical response. Great view of the stage and the band, except Danny's head was perfectly concealed by a cymbal. Kind of odd only being able to see his torso and arms, but still cool. He had the 'melted down Paiste' bass drums out... but apparently he's replaced some of the toms with roto-toms. I thought I saw some of the old Simmons pads in there as well, which was interesting- I thought it was all Mandala pads now. Anyway, MJK did come off the riser with the cell phone early on, and was pretty animated throughout. Adam was Adam, stoic as always.

I'm lucky enough to have seen the band perform every song from this set previously, and my comments are based on that, compared to what I've seen before.

Third Eye- One of the main reasons I wanted to see this set, it's been forever since I saw it. Great way to start the show & set the mood. Overall, I felt like it didn't quite have the... stability? Not sure what word I'm looking for, but it was loosey-goosey there at times. There was a brief new extension near the end that was cool. Pulled it in pretty tight at the end.

Jambi- I honestly would have said the looseness of Third Eye was intentional, had it not been for Jambi. Just seemed like they were having trouble getting locked in. I don't think they really got settled until the talk-box solo. From there to the end was perfect.

Stinkfist- Just what we needed at that point, a little more straight forward, and super tight. I love the extension to this song, and Oh My God, Danny shreds on that part. His arms were literally just a blur playing that hi-hat part. It was amazing. I definitely heard MJK say 'Show Me' or 'Show Me Something' at the start of the extension. Not being from Missouri, I didn't interpret it as a reference to the state motto at all, as was previously suggested. It made me think of the extra verse from the OTRM version of Prison Sex. Interesting.

Vicarious- Pretty straight, and very solid. I'm somehow not as bothered by MJK not singing the outro on this one, when it's not the closer...

Eon Blue Apocalypse/The Patient- Awesome. I was lucky enough to see this one during the Lateralus tour, and I'm glad that more people got to do so now. It really translates well, live.

Intolerance- Great to have Undertow era songs still in the rotation. Loved the 'murky' feel of the red lights and album art. This also makes me feel old, as MJK once again pointed out that a fair percentage of the crowd was either not conceived or very young when this was new.

Schism- No surprises. The double-time extension still makes this one really rock the house. Personally, I'm about at the point with this song that I was at with 'Sober' before it faded out of the rotation. I've probably just seen it too many times :)

46 & 2- On the other hand, this one never seems to get old. Really solid. Vaguely annoyed that the moving LED screens were lowered to a point where they obstructed my view of Danny during this song. Watching him play that breakdown is always so great.

Lateralus- The guest drummer thing. Seemed to take a long while before it really went anywhere interesting. It was funny watching MJK just sorta lean on his mic stand and observe.

Aenema- The last 2 or 3 shows that I've been to didn't include this one, and I have to say it was nice to have it back. I like it a lot better than Vicarious as a closer, personally. It's just such an awesome statement. Time to bring it down again.
OFFLINE |