View Single Post
junior
12-12-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaced View Post

----

The show is incredibly produced, which has an undeniable wowing quality that gives concert-goers something to talk about afterwards. Videos. Lasers. Lights. Fog. All that good stuff, sans the cliche explosives. That’s all fine and good, but here’s my opinion:

The live show is becoming a contradiction to the essence of the live Tool experience. With so many rigid technical factors in place, the live show has evolved into a mechanical handicap to the ultra-expressive quality of Tool’s art. This video needs to play here. This laser needs to shine there, at this moment. The fog needs to start here, and end here. The purple lights need to play on this song. And so on. It’s all computerized, meticulously rehearsed, and, well, sorta canned.

----

I would’ve liked to see Tool take a page from their own book and put it to use. Apply it to 2007. If the lasers and videos and fog machines are making things a little too creatively limiting, THEN THEY’VE OFFICIALLY BECOME A PROBLEM. It’s gotten to the point where the icing is controlling the cake. Time to lose the lasers and the video footage and fog machines. At least for a while. Try turning ‘em off for thirty minutes in the middle of the set, light some candles, and just fucking JAM. See what happens.

I completely disagree with your conclusions. But will not discuss it here as this is a review area. I've written a response that is in the General Tour Discussion.

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p...81#post2294381

Last edited by junior; 12-12-2007 at 04:52 PM..
Old 12-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #56
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 0
Re: Dec 10 Los Angeles, CA Nokia Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaced View Post

----

The show is incredibly produced, which has an undeniable wowing quality that gives concert-goers something to talk about afterwards. Videos. Lasers. Lights. Fog. All that good stuff, sans the cliche explosives. That’s all fine and good, but here’s my opinion:

The live show is becoming a contradiction to the essence of the live Tool experience. With so many rigid technical factors in place, the live show has evolved into a mechanical handicap to the ultra-expressive quality of Tool’s art. This video needs to play here. This laser needs to shine there, at this moment. The fog needs to start here, and end here. The purple lights need to play on this song. And so on. It’s all computerized, meticulously rehearsed, and, well, sorta canned.

----

I would’ve liked to see Tool take a page from their own book and put it to use. Apply it to 2007. If the lasers and videos and fog machines are making things a little too creatively limiting, THEN THEY’VE OFFICIALLY BECOME A PROBLEM. It’s gotten to the point where the icing is controlling the cake. Time to lose the lasers and the video footage and fog machines. At least for a while. Try turning ‘em off for thirty minutes in the middle of the set, light some candles, and just fucking JAM. See what happens.

I completely disagree with your conclusions. But will not discuss it here as this is a review area. I've written a response that is in the General Tour Discussion.

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p...81#post2294381

Last edited by junior; 12-12-2007 at 04:52 PM..
OFFLINE |