View Single Post
Old 06-27-2006, 11:13 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/06/27 - Amsterdam, NLD - HMH

Fourth show, and they get more slick with each one. That has upsides and downsides. Upside is that you get a smooth, well oiled rendition of the songs you love. Downside is the audiences are getting massive and it can all feel a little impersonal. To the guys bitching about Maynard interacting, he never really does, the whole laid-back persona is part of the act, as is singing from the back, or facing away from the audience for the whole show... it's just the act.

Musically it was predicatable enough. MJK seemd a little embarrassed that the tour was a bit underwhelming, hence a somewhat apprehensive "Apparently we'll see you guys again in November". I think something went badly wrong with the management of the tour, expect Novemeber to have support, etc. Danny was, as always, flawless... the gong shook me again. Justin impressed as he always does, he works so damned hard on that bass. Seeing it live forces you to acknowledge all those basslines in the background are actually fucking difficult pieces of music. Aenima being one of those, damn he worked hard. MJK's vocals were spot on where they needed to be, he suffered mix problems a couple of times, more on that in a second. Adam was the weaker member, if any were, but only hit a couple of flats. Having seen them a couple of weeks back though, it seems he's actually just moved some of the solos on from the recorded versions, so it might be entirely intentional and these odd notes are just unfamiliar ones.

Mixing was the weakest point. The sound guy was a bit heavy handed. We all know the base at the beginning of Schism and Sober is great, so pulling it to the front of the soundstage is nice, but it was a little overdone. Worse, when mixed back in with the band, the instrument would be overly faded, leaving absent bass when the rest of the band came in. Same happened with the Adam and MJK, the mix was just overdone sometimes. Bit gentler on the levels sound guy!

Highlight, MJKs scream in Stinkfist. I almost came ;o)

And to the US guy who bought my ticket off me outside Febo for 50 Euros and a hug. Hope you enjoyed the gig.

DI
OFFLINE |