View Single Post
dontbeanankle
09-05-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterileEyes View Post
First of all, Alice In Chains burned the place down and I was very happy to see them in top form. This is my fourth time seeing the new lineup and I saw Will DuVall's first ever gigs with Jerry's solo band and always hoped he'd sing for AIC someday. This is a band with drive and hunger and something to prove. Loved every minute.

Chester Bennington is still a great singer but I agree with someone earlier in this thread in saying bringing his new band up was a god-awful idea whether they're any good or not. What did he say to his bandmates? That's gotta be like fucking your new girlfriend in front of your wife in public or something.

Onto Tool...

I just saw Tool at Lollapalooza and again here.

Both times, I didn't go for Tool. But I am a Tool fan. These were my 3rd and 4th shows of this "three year tour cycle", respectively.

I swear, some of you Tool fans are so damn annoying - "stop whining about the setlist". Um, eff you, I'll say whatever the hell I want, thanks. I'm a fan. I buy the albums, I go to the shows, I play the songs, and this is called "The Tool Page - Opinion" and in my opinion they're being lazy and cashing in and it's a shame because they're way too good for such minimalism as far as effort goes.

Other annoying things I notice some Tool fans doing/posting that I don't notice from most other bands - "what's with people doing ___________ at Tool shows"? They're being themselves. If they want to sing along (out of or in key), push each other around, shout between songs, smoke weed, drink, be obnoxious, push their way in and out, crowdsurf, whatever - that's their right. You can move elsewhere. Maybe I don't like it either, but it's a public show and everyone paid the same amount of money to be there. Tool supposedly like to leave their music open to interpretation yet their fans (and Maynard sometimes) like to try to dictate how the audience behaves and reacts. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

The show was the exact same to a T as Lollapalooza with the exception of what Maynard said between songs and maybe one or two minor blemishes during Jambi. They could put holograms of the guys up there and play a CD of the show from the previous night and I wouldn't know the difference. There is no juice/passion/hunger in this band anymore. A casual fan is probably stoked and I'm stoked for them. I was bored as hell.

Additionally, it bears repeating, 80 minutes for a band of their stature and the amount of material they have is insulting - whether they're headlining a festival or headlining their own show. I don't care if it's "what they were contracted for". Dave Matthews and Bruce Springsteen and Phish play as long as they please and no one stops them. Tool, as with their stock never changing setlist, choose to do the absolute bare minimum to get paid and go home.

And please, if you have a problem with my opinions, just deal with it. It's an opinion. It's not the end of the world. You can ignore it. Without opinions, every post on this board would be "Tool is so perfect. Period. There's nothing else to say."

And for the record, I'll be in attendance when they come back with a new record and a new set. I'm just really disappointed in their lack of passion this particular leg of the tour. A shameless cash grab on their part.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all.... yes, this is the OPINION page, and you have the right to have your own opinions regarding not only the band, but about everything in life. If you think that Tool is all about the money, might I remind you that Linkin Park opened up for them? How about the fact that LP had almost TWICE the amount of stagetime that Tool was permitted in the first place? It's not Tool's fault that they were only given an hour and a half. Next, this is the 4th time I have seen Tool perform live. Although the setlist is very similar as one or 2 of the other shows I have attended, they are amazing and could play that very set every day for the rest of my life and I would be happy to see them. If you thought that they sucked and they were only there for the money, then you should have left in order to free up some space for those of us who were truly happy and felt truly blessed just to be standing in the presence of such unfathomable beauty.

That being said, I have seen Tool perform at Long Beach Sports Arena (fairly small - or was that just the pit tickets talking?), and at Staples Center (MASSIVE), at UCSD (medium sized), and now at the Fairplex. As amazing as the show was, I will never see them at a music festival again....too many bitch-ass people - pushing, hitting, shoving, cramming. I have never seen them in a setting where so many people were acting like complete douchebags. For such an "intelligent" group of people, for such an "elite" cult-following, most of these people were complete assholes.

Linkin Park sucked......BAD!!!! Enough said. Chester couldn't hold a tune or sing on key for the life of him. Then to bring out a shitty side project band.....what were you thinking? I think Chester wins the Douchebaggery Award for the entire event.

And to the person who originally posted this particular thread.....SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! You call yourself a Tool fan, but then go on about how terrible the show was, and how they were just doing it for the money, how they are motivated by greed......MJK has more money than you will ever see in your lifetime. They didn't need the money from Epicenter, you ignorant bastard. If you are worried about their motivation for playing a show, or are concerned with what setlist they play, then don't go to their shows. It's really that simple. I am truly appalled at how someone can call themselves a fan, and then proceed to trash them for several paragraphs. Some fan you are! As far as Dave Matthews Band, and Phish playing as long as they want - again, this has to be the single most ignorant post on this board. Tool is known for playing 3 and 4 hour sets. Unfortunately, the Fairplex is near a residential neighborhood and the Curfew is at 11 p.m. I'm sure they would have played longer if they had the opportunity to, unfortunately the venue wouldn't allow it. So if you are going to spread YOUR opinions about, at least make sure you know what it is that you are babbling about before you open your loose lips. Thanks!! :)

Last edited by dontbeanankle; 09-05-2009 at 10:19 AM..
Old 09-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 08.22.09 - Pomona, CA @ Epicenter Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterileEyes View Post
First of all, Alice In Chains burned the place down and I was very happy to see them in top form. This is my fourth time seeing the new lineup and I saw Will DuVall's first ever gigs with Jerry's solo band and always hoped he'd sing for AIC someday. This is a band with drive and hunger and something to prove. Loved every minute.

Chester Bennington is still a great singer but I agree with someone earlier in this thread in saying bringing his new band up was a god-awful idea whether they're any good or not. What did he say to his bandmates? That's gotta be like fucking your new girlfriend in front of your wife in public or something.

Onto Tool...

I just saw Tool at Lollapalooza and again here.

Both times, I didn't go for Tool. But I am a Tool fan. These were my 3rd and 4th shows of this "three year tour cycle", respectively.

I swear, some of you Tool fans are so damn annoying - "stop whining about the setlist". Um, eff you, I'll say whatever the hell I want, thanks. I'm a fan. I buy the albums, I go to the shows, I play the songs, and this is called "The Tool Page - Opinion" and in my opinion they're being lazy and cashing in and it's a shame because they're way too good for such minimalism as far as effort goes.

Other annoying things I notice some Tool fans doing/posting that I don't notice from most other bands - "what's with people doing ___________ at Tool shows"? They're being themselves. If they want to sing along (out of or in key), push each other around, shout between songs, smoke weed, drink, be obnoxious, push their way in and out, crowdsurf, whatever - that's their right. You can move elsewhere. Maybe I don't like it either, but it's a public show and everyone paid the same amount of money to be there. Tool supposedly like to leave their music open to interpretation yet their fans (and Maynard sometimes) like to try to dictate how the audience behaves and reacts. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

The show was the exact same to a T as Lollapalooza with the exception of what Maynard said between songs and maybe one or two minor blemishes during Jambi. They could put holograms of the guys up there and play a CD of the show from the previous night and I wouldn't know the difference. There is no juice/passion/hunger in this band anymore. A casual fan is probably stoked and I'm stoked for them. I was bored as hell.

Additionally, it bears repeating, 80 minutes for a band of their stature and the amount of material they have is insulting - whether they're headlining a festival or headlining their own show. I don't care if it's "what they were contracted for". Dave Matthews and Bruce Springsteen and Phish play as long as they please and no one stops them. Tool, as with their stock never changing setlist, choose to do the absolute bare minimum to get paid and go home.

And please, if you have a problem with my opinions, just deal with it. It's an opinion. It's not the end of the world. You can ignore it. Without opinions, every post on this board would be "Tool is so perfect. Period. There's nothing else to say."

And for the record, I'll be in attendance when they come back with a new record and a new set. I'm just really disappointed in their lack of passion this particular leg of the tour. A shameless cash grab on their part.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all.... yes, this is the OPINION page, and you have the right to have your own opinions regarding not only the band, but about everything in life. If you think that Tool is all about the money, might I remind you that Linkin Park opened up for them? How about the fact that LP had almost TWICE the amount of stagetime that Tool was permitted in the first place? It's not Tool's fault that they were only given an hour and a half. Next, this is the 4th time I have seen Tool perform live. Although the setlist is very similar as one or 2 of the other shows I have attended, they are amazing and could play that very set every day for the rest of my life and I would be happy to see them. If you thought that they sucked and they were only there for the money, then you should have left in order to free up some space for those of us who were truly happy and felt truly blessed just to be standing in the presence of such unfathomable beauty.

That being said, I have seen Tool perform at Long Beach Sports Arena (fairly small - or was that just the pit tickets talking?), and at Staples Center (MASSIVE), at UCSD (medium sized), and now at the Fairplex. As amazing as the show was, I will never see them at a music festival again....too many bitch-ass people - pushing, hitting, shoving, cramming. I have never seen them in a setting where so many people were acting like complete douchebags. For such an "intelligent" group of people, for such an "elite" cult-following, most of these people were complete assholes.

Linkin Park sucked......BAD!!!! Enough said. Chester couldn't hold a tune or sing on key for the life of him. Then to bring out a shitty side project band.....what were you thinking? I think Chester wins the Douchebaggery Award for the entire event.

And to the person who originally posted this particular thread.....SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! You call yourself a Tool fan, but then go on about how terrible the show was, and how they were just doing it for the money, how they are motivated by greed......MJK has more money than you will ever see in your lifetime. They didn't need the money from Epicenter, you ignorant bastard. If you are worried about their motivation for playing a show, or are concerned with what setlist they play, then don't go to their shows. It's really that simple. I am truly appalled at how someone can call themselves a fan, and then proceed to trash them for several paragraphs. Some fan you are! As far as Dave Matthews Band, and Phish playing as long as they want - again, this has to be the single most ignorant post on this board. Tool is known for playing 3 and 4 hour sets. Unfortunately, the Fairplex is near a residential neighborhood and the Curfew is at 11 p.m. I'm sure they would have played longer if they had the opportunity to, unfortunately the venue wouldn't allow it. So if you are going to spread YOUR opinions about, at least make sure you know what it is that you are babbling about before you open your loose lips. Thanks!! :)

Last edited by dontbeanankle; 09-05-2009 at 10:19 AM..
OFFLINE |