dave.'s Avatar dave.
08-07-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post
....eh?

This surprised me.

I'm not convinced.

Anyone else have input?
Whomever it was, the guy was 100% not playing the song. Adam was off to the side playing, I'm certain. The guy's strumming and fingering weren't at all in sync with what was coming out of the amps and he simply wasn't playing the song. His hand would be in an entirely different location on the fretboard from where it should be for any particular part of the song.

To clarify, Maynard refered to the guy as Stephen Hawking, afterward saying, "music really is the cure-all," I'd assume in reference to Hawking having ALS. Without having any idea at all why he'd call him Stephen Hawking, my guess is it has to do with Hawking being a briliant physicist/scientist and the stage techs and this "guest guitarist" all being decked out in lab coats. Who knows though, really.

Great show. Not much else to add really, that hasn't already been said a thousand times. One thing I did notice, both in Toronto and Kingston, that made an impression on me was that Justin helped with the break-down of the guest drummers' kit, following Lateralus. I just found that admirable, for whatever reason, since they literally have an army of stage techs to take care of this. Reminded me of small club bands that set up and tear down their own equipment before and after a set.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #52
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Re: 08.05.09 - Toronto, ON @ Molson Amphitheatre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post
....eh?

This surprised me.

I'm not convinced.

Anyone else have input?
Whomever it was, the guy was 100% not playing the song. Adam was off to the side playing, I'm certain. The guy's strumming and fingering weren't at all in sync with what was coming out of the amps and he simply wasn't playing the song. His hand would be in an entirely different location on the fretboard from where it should be for any particular part of the song.

To clarify, Maynard refered to the guy as Stephen Hawking, afterward saying, "music really is the cure-all," I'd assume in reference to Hawking having ALS. Without having any idea at all why he'd call him Stephen Hawking, my guess is it has to do with Hawking being a briliant physicist/scientist and the stage techs and this "guest guitarist" all being decked out in lab coats. Who knows though, really.

Great show. Not much else to add really, that hasn't already been said a thousand times. One thing I did notice, both in Toronto and Kingston, that made an impression on me was that Justin helped with the break-down of the guest drummers' kit, following Lateralus. I just found that admirable, for whatever reason, since they literally have an army of stage techs to take care of this. Reminded me of small club bands that set up and tear down their own equipment before and after a set.
OFFLINE |