View Single Post
Fundamental_Difference
07-26-2009, 12:25 AM

First time poster on this site. Been a lurker for several years. Appreciate all the information, everyone's opinions, and Tool love.

I've seen Tool live eight times over the years, starting with their gig at Lolla years ago. So, I've been around long enough to see the musical and artistic progression in all its glory. Grateful to have been a witness to the band's mastery, it's hard for me to criticize such an amazing collection of performers - my favorite band, Tool.

However, I wouldn't be a good fan if I merely praised the band according to yesterday's merits. Has Tool blown me away in the past? Absolutely. Hell, I drove all the way to Bonnaroo just to see them - from Dallas to Tenn. One of the best Tool experiences, ever. That being said, tonight's show was their worst performance (that I've seen). I am not one of those fans who expects his favorite band to stagnate with the same damn songs on every tour, because I understand that creative people create and destroy; thus, they grow ... and sometimes outgrow yesterday's creation or masterpiece. Cool? Cool.

Why was it the worst show?

1. Maynard's vocals were horrible. Muffled, out of sync with the music, weak, and drowned away in a sea of noise. Though more playful with the crowd, his lyrical delivery - due to sound issues or whatever - was almost sad. It wasn't Nokia, because I've seen plenty of bands at this venue. Either Maynard had an off night or the soundboard dude needs to be fired. People have off nights. So be it.

2. Was Justin drunk or something? Man, I've never seen him screw up so many times. He'd quit playing when out of rhythm with Adam and then, wow, use pick scrapes as filler material. Normally, you'll see Adam and Justin glancing at each other and the drums, trying to get in sync. I only saw that two or three times and the results were obvious tp anyone paying attention: Justin was way off more than a few times. At one point, it looked like Adam glanced over at Justin, with a glare ... disbelief.

3. Light show and sound effect filler material. Minor, minor differences in comparison to the previous tour. That's fine and all, but if the tour is promoted as some special show, it takes more than minor adjustments to appease the hardcore fanbase (at least those who refuse to blindly bow to yesterday's greatness if today's standards are compromised - and, honestly, isn't that what Tool is all about: challenging what you see and hear?)

4. Song choice/Setlist. Lord, here we go again. No, wait. Just hear me out. I don't expect Tool to play all of Opiate or Undertow, but I do expect them to replace two critical songs from the previous tour, from the latest album (Wings/10,000). If they choose to remove two songs from the last tour and this is a mini-tour of the last tour, shouldn't they add two new songs to the setlist? I don't care if it is Pushit, Third Eye, Right In Two, Part of Me, Crawl Away ... whatever. Do something to replace those two enjoyable songs. Surprise the crowd with a special treat.

Tool is an ever-growing persona. I dig it. Hell, I like it. But I want more than more of the same on a new tour, even if it is a mini-tour. Will I go see Tool again, buy another album, etc.? Of course. I have bad days at work. The same can happen with a band. Might have been a bad night. I mean, I know I am not alone in these declarations, as plenty of fans during and after the concert were stunned - not by the greatness but by the unfulfilled anticipation.

Anyone who defends tonight's performance has either lost their own vision and judgement or hasn't soon TOOL at its best. I'm not trying to be rude, if someone disagrees, but as a longtime fan and concert goer, I know the difference between settling and exceeding expectations. Tonight I settled because Tool went through the motions, did what they had to do, and got the f'out of town. You would think some time off would re-energize the band, but they took a step back. Why tour if that's the case? I am used to the TOOL that goes all out ... or doesn't go at all.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.25.09 - Dallas, TX @ Nokia Theatre (Grand Prairie)

First time poster on this site. Been a lurker for several years. Appreciate all the information, everyone's opinions, and Tool love.

I've seen Tool live eight times over the years, starting with their gig at Lolla years ago. So, I've been around long enough to see the musical and artistic progression in all its glory. Grateful to have been a witness to the band's mastery, it's hard for me to criticize such an amazing collection of performers - my favorite band, Tool.

However, I wouldn't be a good fan if I merely praised the band according to yesterday's merits. Has Tool blown me away in the past? Absolutely. Hell, I drove all the way to Bonnaroo just to see them - from Dallas to Tenn. One of the best Tool experiences, ever. That being said, tonight's show was their worst performance (that I've seen). I am not one of those fans who expects his favorite band to stagnate with the same damn songs on every tour, because I understand that creative people create and destroy; thus, they grow ... and sometimes outgrow yesterday's creation or masterpiece. Cool? Cool.

Why was it the worst show?

1. Maynard's vocals were horrible. Muffled, out of sync with the music, weak, and drowned away in a sea of noise. Though more playful with the crowd, his lyrical delivery - due to sound issues or whatever - was almost sad. It wasn't Nokia, because I've seen plenty of bands at this venue. Either Maynard had an off night or the soundboard dude needs to be fired. People have off nights. So be it.

2. Was Justin drunk or something? Man, I've never seen him screw up so many times. He'd quit playing when out of rhythm with Adam and then, wow, use pick scrapes as filler material. Normally, you'll see Adam and Justin glancing at each other and the drums, trying to get in sync. I only saw that two or three times and the results were obvious tp anyone paying attention: Justin was way off more than a few times. At one point, it looked like Adam glanced over at Justin, with a glare ... disbelief.

3. Light show and sound effect filler material. Minor, minor differences in comparison to the previous tour. That's fine and all, but if the tour is promoted as some special show, it takes more than minor adjustments to appease the hardcore fanbase (at least those who refuse to blindly bow to yesterday's greatness if today's standards are compromised - and, honestly, isn't that what Tool is all about: challenging what you see and hear?)

4. Song choice/Setlist. Lord, here we go again. No, wait. Just hear me out. I don't expect Tool to play all of Opiate or Undertow, but I do expect them to replace two critical songs from the previous tour, from the latest album (Wings/10,000). If they choose to remove two songs from the last tour and this is a mini-tour of the last tour, shouldn't they add two new songs to the setlist? I don't care if it is Pushit, Third Eye, Right In Two, Part of Me, Crawl Away ... whatever. Do something to replace those two enjoyable songs. Surprise the crowd with a special treat.

Tool is an ever-growing persona. I dig it. Hell, I like it. But I want more than more of the same on a new tour, even if it is a mini-tour. Will I go see Tool again, buy another album, etc.? Of course. I have bad days at work. The same can happen with a band. Might have been a bad night. I mean, I know I am not alone in these declarations, as plenty of fans during and after the concert were stunned - not by the greatness but by the unfulfilled anticipation.

Anyone who defends tonight's performance has either lost their own vision and judgement or hasn't soon TOOL at its best. I'm not trying to be rude, if someone disagrees, but as a longtime fan and concert goer, I know the difference between settling and exceeding expectations. Tonight I settled because Tool went through the motions, did what they had to do, and got the f'out of town. You would think some time off would re-energize the band, but they took a step back. Why tour if that's the case? I am used to the TOOL that goes all out ... or doesn't go at all.

Just my opinion.
OFFLINE |