View Single Post
pmclem02
07-25-2009, 11:13 PM

Review:
Great show. The band was in top form, and I've never heard Maynard sound any better than he did tonight. He hit high notes and he held them. The addition of the lasers to Rosetta Stoned was great. Justin was funny with his hat and his little dance during the Lateralus build up, and Maynard was comical when Adam's guitar stopped working.

Now my feelings on Maynard:

I have only been a tool fan for about 3-4 years now. I was raised in christian home and I didn't know anything about them. I grew up listening to oldies and christian music.

I branched out to country music first, and got over that really quick. Then rap and hip-hop which was gone even quicker. Then I got into rock. For a long time my favorite band was Godsmack. I knew of tool by that point, but I really hadn't listened to them, and they seemed too wierd and complicated to me.

Finally a friend at work convinced me to really listen, and thankfully it finally got through to me and I found out what I'd been missing. That was not too long before 10,000 days came out. When I first really got into the band, I definitely god-worshipped Maynard for a period of time.

So with that in mind, I obviously never went to any of the old shows. I have, however, watched several performances on youtube. I went to 4 shows last tour, and I just went to Nokia tonight.

Maybe some people who experienced the pre-10,000 Days shows could enlighten me, but I don't feel like I have seen Maynard at a concert yet. I feel like I'm seeing a character that he plays. He's sounded great at every show, and tonight was the best I've ever heard him sound. There's nothing wrong with that.

But he does and says almost the same exact things every night. I don't know, I just get the distinct feeling that he hates what he becomes to try to please us. I almost feel like he's disgusted with himself for pandering to us.

I don't know if it was the same at the old shows, I wish I could've seen them.

Now I'm not saying that he has to like us or be friendly at all. I moved past my Maynard worship not too long after the last tour was over. It's hard to put into words what I'm trying to say, but I'll give it a go.

When I finally got into tool, I got into it because they were the best band I'd ever heard. Their songs weren't just simple with catchy beats and lyrics that were meaningless. Their songs provoked thought and self reflection. They inspired. Some of the lyrics seemed to put into words how I already felt about certain things. Quite simply, it was like no musical experience I had ever felt.

So when I see the lead singer of this band, who had a huge hand in creating this unique music which I liked because it was so genuine, on stage night after night playing a character which is the antithesis of what he represents in his music I just feel let down by it. I almost pity him. I want him to be able to be himself, and not have to whore himself out to us. I don't want him to have to change to try to make us happy.

I've never met Maynard, I don't know Maynard and I'm unlikely to ever accomplish either of those things. Obviously I don't know who the man is or what he's really like. But I know the man can bring it like a mother fucker, and that should be enough.

A lot of the reviews I read for these shows talk about Maynard having checked out and not caring anymore. The fact that these people type these things shows that they care WAY too much about Maynard.

To be honest, I don't want more from Maynard. I want nothing more or nothing less than just Maynard. I'd like to see a concert where he's just himself, not the character that he's been playing at the shows for the 10,000 days tour into this tour.

Please people that were fortunate enough to have been to the shows in the past, is this what he was like back then? Was he a character, or was he just a reclusive, badass lead singer of a badass rock band? Given the choice, I'll take the latter.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.25.09 - Dallas, TX @ Nokia Theatre (Grand Prairie)

Review:
Great show. The band was in top form, and I've never heard Maynard sound any better than he did tonight. He hit high notes and he held them. The addition of the lasers to Rosetta Stoned was great. Justin was funny with his hat and his little dance during the Lateralus build up, and Maynard was comical when Adam's guitar stopped working.

Now my feelings on Maynard:

I have only been a tool fan for about 3-4 years now. I was raised in christian home and I didn't know anything about them. I grew up listening to oldies and christian music.

I branched out to country music first, and got over that really quick. Then rap and hip-hop which was gone even quicker. Then I got into rock. For a long time my favorite band was Godsmack. I knew of tool by that point, but I really hadn't listened to them, and they seemed too wierd and complicated to me.

Finally a friend at work convinced me to really listen, and thankfully it finally got through to me and I found out what I'd been missing. That was not too long before 10,000 days came out. When I first really got into the band, I definitely god-worshipped Maynard for a period of time.

So with that in mind, I obviously never went to any of the old shows. I have, however, watched several performances on youtube. I went to 4 shows last tour, and I just went to Nokia tonight.

Maybe some people who experienced the pre-10,000 Days shows could enlighten me, but I don't feel like I have seen Maynard at a concert yet. I feel like I'm seeing a character that he plays. He's sounded great at every show, and tonight was the best I've ever heard him sound. There's nothing wrong with that.

But he does and says almost the same exact things every night. I don't know, I just get the distinct feeling that he hates what he becomes to try to please us. I almost feel like he's disgusted with himself for pandering to us.

I don't know if it was the same at the old shows, I wish I could've seen them.

Now I'm not saying that he has to like us or be friendly at all. I moved past my Maynard worship not too long after the last tour was over. It's hard to put into words what I'm trying to say, but I'll give it a go.

When I finally got into tool, I got into it because they were the best band I'd ever heard. Their songs weren't just simple with catchy beats and lyrics that were meaningless. Their songs provoked thought and self reflection. They inspired. Some of the lyrics seemed to put into words how I already felt about certain things. Quite simply, it was like no musical experience I had ever felt.

So when I see the lead singer of this band, who had a huge hand in creating this unique music which I liked because it was so genuine, on stage night after night playing a character which is the antithesis of what he represents in his music I just feel let down by it. I almost pity him. I want him to be able to be himself, and not have to whore himself out to us. I don't want him to have to change to try to make us happy.

I've never met Maynard, I don't know Maynard and I'm unlikely to ever accomplish either of those things. Obviously I don't know who the man is or what he's really like. But I know the man can bring it like a mother fucker, and that should be enough.

A lot of the reviews I read for these shows talk about Maynard having checked out and not caring anymore. The fact that these people type these things shows that they care WAY too much about Maynard.

To be honest, I don't want more from Maynard. I want nothing more or nothing less than just Maynard. I'd like to see a concert where he's just himself, not the character that he's been playing at the shows for the 10,000 days tour into this tour.

Please people that were fortunate enough to have been to the shows in the past, is this what he was like back then? Was he a character, or was he just a reclusive, badass lead singer of a badass rock band? Given the choice, I'll take the latter.
OFFLINE |