View Single Post
Beaker
07-24-2009, 08:01 PM

This was my 7th Tool in show in as many venues over the past 15 years (1st show was at the Salem Armory in 1994). Watching the crew bustle about in lab coats against the white stage to get things ready after the pleasently suprising Tweak Bird set, it felt like preparations for an expeiment or surgical procedure. This was only furthered when Maynard actually asked the crowd to take participate in an experiment, and with the unusual amout of between song sonic tinkerings; this being the case, I'll continue this review applying some scientific method:

Hypothesis: Danny is the greatest drummer on the planet.
Supporting Data: Lateralus drum solo, 46&2, Stinkfist extended bridge, Flood, etc...
Conclusion: Confirmed. Danny killed it from start to finish and was the highlight for me.

About the whole static setlist, my theory is that this is a means to minimize scalpers from making huge profits off of their shows. If Tool played randomized songs from their entire catalog every night, they would have an enormous following of people travelling from show-to-show (see: Deadheads, Phish-heads, Pearl Jamily, etc...): I know this becuase I would be one of them. More people means more demand for a limited number of seats so unless they would play even larger venues, charge even more for tickets (already north of $60), or play more shows per stop, then scalpers get the upper hand, and the average fan suffers.

BTW a few missing items on the previous setlists are (-) Ions after Jambi and Eon Blue Apocalypse played before Schism (I was really hoping for The Patient). Flood and Lateralus were perfect, and the visuals were on another level all night.

Although Maynard bailed immediately after Vicarious (no more group hugs I guess?) I really appreciate Danny, Justin, and Adam not only sticking around, but applauding the fans for their support.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.19.09 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Energy Solutions

This was my 7th Tool in show in as many venues over the past 15 years (1st show was at the Salem Armory in 1994). Watching the crew bustle about in lab coats against the white stage to get things ready after the pleasently suprising Tweak Bird set, it felt like preparations for an expeiment or surgical procedure. This was only furthered when Maynard actually asked the crowd to take participate in an experiment, and with the unusual amout of between song sonic tinkerings; this being the case, I'll continue this review applying some scientific method:

Hypothesis: Danny is the greatest drummer on the planet.
Supporting Data: Lateralus drum solo, 46&2, Stinkfist extended bridge, Flood, etc...
Conclusion: Confirmed. Danny killed it from start to finish and was the highlight for me.

About the whole static setlist, my theory is that this is a means to minimize scalpers from making huge profits off of their shows. If Tool played randomized songs from their entire catalog every night, they would have an enormous following of people travelling from show-to-show (see: Deadheads, Phish-heads, Pearl Jamily, etc...): I know this becuase I would be one of them. More people means more demand for a limited number of seats so unless they would play even larger venues, charge even more for tickets (already north of $60), or play more shows per stop, then scalpers get the upper hand, and the average fan suffers.

BTW a few missing items on the previous setlists are (-) Ions after Jambi and Eon Blue Apocalypse played before Schism (I was really hoping for The Patient). Flood and Lateralus were perfect, and the visuals were on another level all night.

Although Maynard bailed immediately after Vicarious (no more group hugs I guess?) I really appreciate Danny, Justin, and Adam not only sticking around, but applauding the fans for their support.
OFFLINE |