View Single Post
TimTheToolMan's Avatar TimTheToolMan
07-20-2009, 05:39 AM

This was my first Tool concert. I had a great seat about half court a few rows up with a great view of the stage. I've seen them live on TV/Youtube, and heard some live shows on the internet, but I have to say in general the show was incredible ... but with a few complaints. The biggest complaint is how short the show was. I was obviously ignorant about their set list from previous shows, so I didn't know the list ... but this band has been around the better part of 17+ years and all they could come up with was 9 songs??

There are songs like Aenima and Prison Sex that clearly put them on the map and get the most radio play, but they didn't' want to play them for some reason. The long parts of some songs without Maynard seemed to be more of a time filler so Maynard can prepare for the next song, take a piss, meditate or whatever he seemed to be doing during 30% of the show when he wasn't around. The visuals/videos, and the laser light show was amazing, but seemed to drag on with nothing new or exciting once it started.

I thought the idea of doing some improvisations or extended solos/riffs on their songs was generally a cool idea, but in some ways it seemed like they screwed up the tempo at times, or couldn't get the guitar effects just right and it sounded like they were just winging it (again for a time filler).

Then when the show was over ... it really was. No encores, no nothing. It was almost as if when the lights came on everyone was was looking around saying "That was it??" It was rather anti-climactic.

I've been a Tool fan for many many years, and I know I will be for many more but I'm not sure if I'm going to be in a big rush to see them the next time they come out here.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:39 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.19.09 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Energy Solutions

This was my first Tool concert. I had a great seat about half court a few rows up with a great view of the stage. I've seen them live on TV/Youtube, and heard some live shows on the internet, but I have to say in general the show was incredible ... but with a few complaints. The biggest complaint is how short the show was. I was obviously ignorant about their set list from previous shows, so I didn't know the list ... but this band has been around the better part of 17+ years and all they could come up with was 9 songs??

There are songs like Aenima and Prison Sex that clearly put them on the map and get the most radio play, but they didn't' want to play them for some reason. The long parts of some songs without Maynard seemed to be more of a time filler so Maynard can prepare for the next song, take a piss, meditate or whatever he seemed to be doing during 30% of the show when he wasn't around. The visuals/videos, and the laser light show was amazing, but seemed to drag on with nothing new or exciting once it started.

I thought the idea of doing some improvisations or extended solos/riffs on their songs was generally a cool idea, but in some ways it seemed like they screwed up the tempo at times, or couldn't get the guitar effects just right and it sounded like they were just winging it (again for a time filler).

Then when the show was over ... it really was. No encores, no nothing. It was almost as if when the lights came on everyone was was looking around saying "That was it??" It was rather anti-climactic.

I've been a Tool fan for many many years, and I know I will be for many more but I'm not sure if I'm going to be in a big rush to see them the next time they come out here.
OFFLINE |