View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #127
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Re: maynard's undertow vocals

Jung wars! Seriously though talking about psychology and philosophy is my bread and butter, and I would enjoy nothing more then to have a conversation on such topics. In fact I don't wish you "enlighten" you on any such topics, as much as I would enjoy knowing your perspective on Jung and his theories. Have you heard of Ken Wilber? William James? Love em all!

So in an attempt to give my own perspective of Jung's theories I will start with a quote from a summary of the book “Modern Man in Search of a Soul” page 202 (while giving a detailed description to the meaning of the Modern Man he proclaims); “As soon as he has outgrown whatever local form of religion he was born to-as soon as this religion can no longer embrace his life in all its fullness-then the psyche becomes something in its own right which cannot be dealt with by the measure of the Church alone. It is for this reason that we of today have a psychology founded on experience, and not upon article of faith or the postulates of any philosophical system.”

Jung is the forefather to the discovery of the inner experience in Western society, giving credit to the construct of perspectives formed and inherited, beyond it being just a byproduct of adolescent sexually driven misinterpretations, the popular Freudian theory at the time. Jung’s belief in the Collective Unconscious has been the main topic at which he is discredited by scientific society, being called metaphysical, which held many consequences for men of his time. The construct of a theory that couldn’t be reduced and repeated for the purpose of science cut his theories in half. Experience can’t be proved by science and how one interprets that experience comes from their ability to be conscious in their decisions. Jung coins consciousness as the ability to be present “the man of the immediate present,” the Modern Man is the antithesis of Jung’s theories paving a world of malleable reality, beyond all expectations life with certainty “Indeed, he is completely modern only when he has come to the very edge of the world, leaving behind him all that has been discarded and outgrown, and acknowledging that he stands before a void of which all things may grow.”

My swiss cheese definition, I could go into great detail about how his main theory, the Collective Unconscious, was the half that went under the title of metaphysical and why. Experience is what keeps Jung's theories alive even to this day, people who have experienced what Jung calls the Collective Unconscious know its validity, there's no dispute for those who have been down the rabbit hole.

Last edited by RachJacob; 03-07-2009 at 03:29 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote