View Single Post
mondegreen
02-09-2012, 04:28 PM

My 5th Tool show. Definitely in the upper tier of shows I've seen, but nothing will ever touch the gig they played in 2001 at the Tabernacle.

Anyways, this show was quite a good one. Danny in a Lakers jersey, Justin looked like a mountain man, Maynard wearing a POSTAL shirt with a tonfa strapped to his wait, and Adam just dressed like Adam.

This was my first time hearing Hooker with a Penis live, and Maynard changed the lyrics quite a bit. ("Slipknot Tee," "In between slurps of cock," and others that I couldn't quite make out).

Most of the songs played are right at home on the setlist, Sober and Schism are two that I'd remove, but Maynard's intro to Sober made the song worth it ("This is a song about something I'm not.").

Which leads to my next point: Maynard was as loose as I've ever seen him. The last time Tool was in Atlanta, Maynard was the weak link for the band, but he redeemed himself this time around by letting loose and having a good time. He had lots of vocal inflections and minor lyric tweaks that kept my attention, and his stage presence was just generally interesting tonight. I'm thinking he might need a few bottles of wine for every show.

Other highlights:
Yob coming on stage during Lateralus and taking Justin and Adam's places during the drum off. Maynard "remembering" Aaron's name.

Maynard passing the wine bottle to the crew members. A nice gesture.

Popcorn dropping at the end of Ænema.

If they had played either Ticks or Parabola, the setlist would have been near perfect. As it stands, I enjoyed the show and I'm glad I made it out to this one.

See y'all in another 3 years.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.08.2012 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnet Arena

My 5th Tool show. Definitely in the upper tier of shows I've seen, but nothing will ever touch the gig they played in 2001 at the Tabernacle.

Anyways, this show was quite a good one. Danny in a Lakers jersey, Justin looked like a mountain man, Maynard wearing a POSTAL shirt with a tonfa strapped to his wait, and Adam just dressed like Adam.

This was my first time hearing Hooker with a Penis live, and Maynard changed the lyrics quite a bit. ("Slipknot Tee," "In between slurps of cock," and others that I couldn't quite make out).

Most of the songs played are right at home on the setlist, Sober and Schism are two that I'd remove, but Maynard's intro to Sober made the song worth it ("This is a song about something I'm not.").

Which leads to my next point: Maynard was as loose as I've ever seen him. The last time Tool was in Atlanta, Maynard was the weak link for the band, but he redeemed himself this time around by letting loose and having a good time. He had lots of vocal inflections and minor lyric tweaks that kept my attention, and his stage presence was just generally interesting tonight. I'm thinking he might need a few bottles of wine for every show.

Other highlights:
Yob coming on stage during Lateralus and taking Justin and Adam's places during the drum off. Maynard "remembering" Aaron's name.

Maynard passing the wine bottle to the crew members. A nice gesture.

Popcorn dropping at the end of Ænema.

If they had played either Ticks or Parabola, the setlist would have been near perfect. As it stands, I enjoyed the show and I'm glad I made it out to this one.

See y'all in another 3 years.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote