View Single Post
ufopancakes's Avatar ufopancakes
01-16-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esurient4Truth View Post
Why don't people like this song? My thoughts:

It encompasses everything that is mainstream on the radio. For me, I'm starting to grow real tired of what's played on the radio - and I'm sure many other people are too. The RIAA, the music labels and record companies - are all in control of our industry - only playing the same styles of monotonous music over and over again.

Was "The Pot" an effort by Tool to draw in those listening to the Top 40 pop/rock bands? If Tool is supposed to break this mold - then why create a song with this style and rhythm, when real Tool fans want more of what is Aenima and Lateralus? If I listen to "Bleed it Out" by Linkin Park then "The Pot" by Tool, I can't see a difference - 2 examples of mainstream songs that are played on the radio.

People who were drawn into the Tool due to "The Pot" instead of Undertow for example (when Maynard was at his best... period) were drawn in because it sounded like everything else they play on the radio - anything between Hinder and Incubus.

I think some people hate "The Pot" because it draws people back into the mainstream music scene. Others hate it because it's an artsy fartsy song that for me, is personally boring to listen to and doesn't hold the same values as older albums do.

It's just "another" song.

In my opinion, "Vicarious" should have gotten more airtime than "The Pot."
One could easily use this argument for the song Stinkfist... which drew in a lot of Tools loyal followers. (For me it was sober, and eventually the whole lateralus album)

I also have a few friends that cannot tell the difference between Tool and Nickleback. Thats like someone who cant see the difference between black and white... To each his own I guess.

I think the song captures a lot of Tools power, the odd swing in the timing, and more interesting play on words.. And I'm also of the opinion that Tool is not interested in appealing to the mainstream crowd. After all... they have come as far as they have because they create art for themselves, and share it with others.

I will say though, the intro of this song caught me off guard in the first listen. But once the bass line kicked in, it was all good.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #122
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esurient4Truth View Post
Why don't people like this song? My thoughts:

It encompasses everything that is mainstream on the radio. For me, I'm starting to grow real tired of what's played on the radio - and I'm sure many other people are too. The RIAA, the music labels and record companies - are all in control of our industry - only playing the same styles of monotonous music over and over again.

Was "The Pot" an effort by Tool to draw in those listening to the Top 40 pop/rock bands? If Tool is supposed to break this mold - then why create a song with this style and rhythm, when real Tool fans want more of what is Aenima and Lateralus? If I listen to "Bleed it Out" by Linkin Park then "The Pot" by Tool, I can't see a difference - 2 examples of mainstream songs that are played on the radio.

People who were drawn into the Tool due to "The Pot" instead of Undertow for example (when Maynard was at his best... period) were drawn in because it sounded like everything else they play on the radio - anything between Hinder and Incubus.

I think some people hate "The Pot" because it draws people back into the mainstream music scene. Others hate it because it's an artsy fartsy song that for me, is personally boring to listen to and doesn't hold the same values as older albums do.

It's just "another" song.

In my opinion, "Vicarious" should have gotten more airtime than "The Pot."
One could easily use this argument for the song Stinkfist... which drew in a lot of Tools loyal followers. (For me it was sober, and eventually the whole lateralus album)

I also have a few friends that cannot tell the difference between Tool and Nickleback. Thats like someone who cant see the difference between black and white... To each his own I guess.

I think the song captures a lot of Tools power, the odd swing in the timing, and more interesting play on words.. And I'm also of the opinion that Tool is not interested in appealing to the mainstream crowd. After all... they have come as far as they have because they create art for themselves, and share it with others.

I will say though, the intro of this song caught me off guard in the first listen. But once the bass line kicked in, it was all good.