View Single Post
Old 12-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #646
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 15
Re: Tour complaints -- brokers, scalping, etc. (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprry75 View Post
This may be the dumbest thing I've ever read. Finish reading Economics for Dummies before you post.

"Think about it, the more scalpers there are, the more SUPPLIERS. The price doesn't raise because there are more suppliers, the price raises because of the DEMAND."

Duh. The only real market for the tickets is people who want to attend the show. There's a finite amount of the commodity from the get-go, and scalpers and brokers enhance that by increasing scarcity, and reducing supply in the general market. Then they inflate the prices without contributing any new value whatsoever to meet the artificially enhanced demand.

Scalpers create artificial scarcity by hoarding the commodity, thereby artificially increasing demand. Just because their hoarding of the commodity enables them to then supply the commodity to meet the artificial, secondary demand (at inflated prices, without having added value), it does not follow that they're doing anyone any favors.
I totally I agree with you. The ONLY thing a Scalper is good for is getting really good seats. It is more possible to get great seats from a scalper than it is in the general market. I say that because in the general market the person who was lucky enough to get the great seats are not going to sell those seats while the scalper will.