View Single Post
hreems's Avatar hreems
07-19-2010, 09:25 PM

This is my 7th Tool Show, and I'm happy to say that it was easily one of the best if nothing else because of the venue. I can honestly say that had the show been at Staples again, I likely wouldn't have even gone but Nokia adds a whole new dimension to things. I sincerely think they built that place specifically for Tool concerts. The base was powerful enough to literally move my shirt, yet there was never any need for earplugs. The music was able to rattle my bones without hurting my ears. Must be black magic or something. And I loved the new, high def visuals. Way to go production guys.

I'm not as geeked up about Third Eye as everyone else. Yes the song has grown on me over the years, and I was curious to hear it live, but I'm not sure I would have opened with it. Kind of like showing up at a restaurant and shoving a filet mignon down your gullet before even having a cocktail. This song needs to be worked up to. But it sounded great nonetheless.

As for the rest of the show, I have to say that I got very angry when Maynard passed the mic to the crowd for the end of Vicarious. Kind of a puss move if you ask me. I'm all for singalongs, but not at such a climactic moment like that. I paid good money to hear Maynard sing, not the people behind me. I know he has to save his voice, but it's the second to last show on the Tour, and it's LA no less. We are an entitled lot only because they have spoiled us so much in the past. So right when the song was over I started screaming obsenities at Maynard for being a wuss, and my wife had to smack me to shut me up. And just when I was ready to start back up again, I heard the intro to Right in Two.

And all was forgiven.

What a treat. I love that song and to hear them absolutely nail it live was a sight to behold. During the solo when the change their time signatures ALA Lateralus, I made it a point to watch Danny closely. He is just not of this world and there is no other way to put it. I don't know much about drums, but I know this...that man was put on this planet to play them. He seriously looked like the Animal from the muppets, only more jacked and wearing a Laker's jersey. Nice touch.

Personally, I would have preferred to hear Intolerace as opposed to Flood, but there is no such thing as a perfect world so I will not bitch about that one. All I know is that my wife, who stayed sober to drive and is more of a Dave Matthew's fan than anything else, had this to say afterwards: "You don't need alcohol to get buzzed by that. Oh yeah, and Dave is a fucking pussy." Indeed.

-GKW
Old 07-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #29
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.18.2010 - Los Angeles, CA @ Nokia Theater

This is my 7th Tool Show, and I'm happy to say that it was easily one of the best if nothing else because of the venue. I can honestly say that had the show been at Staples again, I likely wouldn't have even gone but Nokia adds a whole new dimension to things. I sincerely think they built that place specifically for Tool concerts. The base was powerful enough to literally move my shirt, yet there was never any need for earplugs. The music was able to rattle my bones without hurting my ears. Must be black magic or something. And I loved the new, high def visuals. Way to go production guys.

I'm not as geeked up about Third Eye as everyone else. Yes the song has grown on me over the years, and I was curious to hear it live, but I'm not sure I would have opened with it. Kind of like showing up at a restaurant and shoving a filet mignon down your gullet before even having a cocktail. This song needs to be worked up to. But it sounded great nonetheless.

As for the rest of the show, I have to say that I got very angry when Maynard passed the mic to the crowd for the end of Vicarious. Kind of a puss move if you ask me. I'm all for singalongs, but not at such a climactic moment like that. I paid good money to hear Maynard sing, not the people behind me. I know he has to save his voice, but it's the second to last show on the Tour, and it's LA no less. We are an entitled lot only because they have spoiled us so much in the past. So right when the song was over I started screaming obsenities at Maynard for being a wuss, and my wife had to smack me to shut me up. And just when I was ready to start back up again, I heard the intro to Right in Two.

And all was forgiven.

What a treat. I love that song and to hear them absolutely nail it live was a sight to behold. During the solo when the change their time signatures ALA Lateralus, I made it a point to watch Danny closely. He is just not of this world and there is no other way to put it. I don't know much about drums, but I know this...that man was put on this planet to play them. He seriously looked like the Animal from the muppets, only more jacked and wearing a Laker's jersey. Nice touch.

Personally, I would have preferred to hear Intolerace as opposed to Flood, but there is no such thing as a perfect world so I will not bitch about that one. All I know is that my wife, who stayed sober to drive and is more of a Dave Matthew's fan than anything else, had this to say afterwards: "You don't need alcohol to get buzzed by that. Oh yeah, and Dave is a fucking pussy." Indeed.

-GKW
OFFLINE |