View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 03:35 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/07/09 - Turku, FIN - Turku Festival

My first Tool show ever and I think it was as close to perfection as it could have been. The setlist wasn't surprising, having read about the previous gigs, but that didn't matter to me at all. It was just fantastic to finally hear all these songs being played live. And the way they do it, with virtually no mistakes at all.

Soundwise, I don't have complaints. During the opening song, Stinkfist, the vocals weren't loud enough (at least where I was standing), but they fixed it and the rest of the gig was great. What I was particularily happy about was that the bass was under control and all the instruments and vocals could be heard clearly at all times.

I loved watching the guys play. And Maynard was much more active than I had assumed. During some of the songs he was really getting into it and giving a nice performance for the crowd (think rodeo). Maynard also said something like this: "See you in November. Maybe not exactly here, or looking like this. We'll be wearing pink tank tops with a logo on the left. That's how you'll know it's us." :-)

I was standing a couple of meters from the fence with my fiancee, and sure enough, there were some jerks pushing us, making it a bit harder to enjoy the show. Fortunately, it didn't get too bad, but if I ever see Tool in a similar (festival) setting again, I'll probably stay back and avoid the biggest idiots. Also, I didn't get a Tool shirt of any kind because they had already sold out when I got there. :-(

After the show (last on this tour), they came to the front of the stage, hugged each other, threw their remaining water bottles for us and waved us goodbye. A fitting finish for a great night. This definitely was the highlight of my concert going 'career'. Thanks Tool, hope to see you again somewhere.

- Jussi
OFFLINE |