View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 11:04 AM   #54
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/13 - Chicago, IL - Auditorium Theatre

Review

The Auditorium is now by far the best venue I’ve seen a show at. The interior is amazing and even more so when you realize a major band is playing in it. There was no less than 4 or 5 bars in the place. Too bad I’m not 21 until September. The box seats looked badass with those nice comfy chairs. The sound was pretty good, but from where I was sitting, the bass was a little boomy. I think it was because I was just under the 2nd balcony and there was some standing sound waves or resonance. At times, I couldn’t hear Maynard singing due to that, or people singing along so loud, or both. The people in the front rows of the balcony probably didn’t have any gripes about the sound. I’m sure the closer, the better.

I couldn’t understand anything Maynard said in between songs except the first thing which was
“Chicago… It seems like every time I come to Chicago I get sick.”

I think he went on later to say that he was sick, etc. as others have already noted. Its unfortunate because the weather was rather nice here until it turned all cold and crappy last week if that played a part. I think he also apologized for the late start. At one point between songs, I believe he left the stage, and possibly Adam too.

Lost Keys - got my ears ringing, and Rosetta Stoned, with its phat reprise, were both good.

Stinkfist - was right on, it was a/the extended version. Maynard let the crowd sing “I'll keep digging till I feel something.”

46&2 - was also very good.

Jambi - was not bad except for the talkbox, which from what I’ve heard can be a little stubborn.

Schism – at first I thought was rushed when they played the middle slow part fast, but it turned out to be badass since they doubled it up with the slow.

Right in Two - stood out the most in my mind of the songs off the new album. It just sounded so much better live than a recording. I haven’t been able to listen to the new CD on any decent sound system yet. Glad we got to hear it, swapped out for The Patient and The Pot.

Sober - in my opinion, is one song that has to be listened to played live. No matter how loud I listen to Sober on my own, a recording can not do it justice.

Lateralus - the crowd went nuts and it was fantastic. Unfortunately, the girl next to me knew every last word.

Their “intermission” was very short and just like the other shows.

Vicarious - Maynard played some notes on his keyboard to his right after their little “intermission” and the up into the intro. Flawless. My ears were starting to ring badly at this point.

Aenema - crowd went wild as expected.

The show was over. The band threw water, and Danny threw his sticks and drum heads to the crowd. They exited stage right and the curtain closed.

The only problem I was constantly distracted. People with their phones out. The ushers where I was at weren’t too bad about people taking pictures. I kept looking for opportunities to snap some when the usher wasn’t around when I should’ve been paying attention to the show. I kept daydreaming like “Wow, I’m really here!” I wasn’t on drugs or anything, but I couldn’t stay focused because I already knew what the setlist was going to be thanks to everyone else’s reviews. At one point, I got to thinking that 10,000 Days would be Tool’s last. And dare I say Tool is showing their age? I think I was just trying to take too much into account. Maynard is just a little sick is all. I think I would have been more pumped and attentive if I went into it not knowing what they were going to play.

Could anyone describe what the glow-in-the-dark logo was on the floor of the stage? Did anyone notice if Danny hit his gong? I saw it swinging at one point like he just hit it but I didn’t hear it.

To the girl from Kentucky to the right of me, I hope you enjoyed your first Tool show! To the guy in Row Q, Seat 302, with the “Murphy’s Law” or whatever shirt it was you had on, you can lick my sweaty toolsack. This guy was like “Play the F-ing Pot, I’m gonna freak out if they play The Pot!” all psycho, and had other swear-laden random outbursts. Control yourself. I didn’t let it bother me too much. Once again, I want to thank the guy I got my ticket from, it would not have been possible without you! Happy Graduation! This show was one fine gift, and an experience you and I will never forget.

Happy Mother’s Day!

Last edited by bozobuttz; 05-14-2006 at 11:19 AM..
OFFLINE |