View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 11:03 AM   #53
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/13 - Chicago, IL - Auditorium Theatre

So here goes my longish Tool experience…
(you can scroll down to the review(next post) instead)
I was 4th in line on April 22nd at Ticketmaster in Orland Park, IL when tickets went on sale and believe it or not, NOBODY there got any tickets. It didn't help that they lined us up outside and led us in at 11:01 after the tix already were on sale. So that sucked. My buddy Matt was lucky enough to get his 1st row balcony ticket online, clicking 'Refresh' to death. I told my girlfriend she won’t be going to the show with me. ;-)

May 13th was drawing near and I was getting so antsy because I didn't have a ticket. I was willing to spend up to $150, which I think is more than adequate, but everything on eBay was north of that. On Wednesday the 10th, I was downtown for the Conan O’Brien show, so I swung by the theater’s box office to check if maybe some tickets became available. No luck. My last ditch effort was to just go down to the day of the show and find a ticket. I figured I might as well try, as I had nothing to lose except $14 parking (which should have been $10 with my parking validation but it was expired or some b.s. At that point, I didn't care, I had just seen Tool).

So May 13 arrives and all day my stomach was in a knot. I was hoping my plan would work out. I tried Ticketmasturbater one last time in Orland to no avail. I had to attend my Grandpa's and his twin brother's 80th surprise birthday party at 4pm, which I knew about long before the concert was announced. I left the party about 6pm without a problem, except my Mom’s cousin called me a “bonehead” for going to a concert without a ticket. I got downtown on the Stevenson without any traffic, but I did go past a completely wrecked ’06 Mustang GT near the Lake Shore Drive ramp. It looked like some kids going to their prom; I would guess they were o.k. I was hoping I would have better luck than them tonight! I got my car parked about 6:45 and was out in front of the theater to start my attempts at getting a ticket. I was worried though because it was my first time trying to get a ticket out front; I wasn’t sure if I could pull it off. I had a better chance than anyone else since I was the only one with a sign!

My buddy Matt arrives and spots me. He has to get his ticket at will-call. He tells me “I’ll come back, but if I can’t, I’ll see you INSIDE!” (wink, wink) He was able to come back out and was going to chill with me until I potentially get my ticket. We hop in the “maybe-we-can-get-last-minute-tickets” line since the scalpers were at $200 and above. No sooner than I hang up with my girlfriend telling her I don’t have a ticket yet, a younger guy walks up to me…
Him - “I have an extra ticket”.
Me - “How much?”
Him - “How’s $70 sound?”
Me - “Are you serious? Sounds good to me!” (as I’m fumbling cash out of my pocket) “Here’s $80.”
Matt – “Put that ticket in your pocket right now!”
Some dude behind Matt – “Can I have your sign?”
Me – “Sure dude. I don’t need it anymore!”

Most of the conversation is now a blur because I was so excited. Thanks to the guy, you know who you are if you read this. The guy’s mom and buddy were with him. I could not thank them enough! The mom says something like, “You deserve it!” I tell her “Happy Mother’s Day!” It turns out his mom got them 4th row orchestra tickets and needed to sell his original one to a deserving fan. I was the first person he saw and I had my homemade sign. I’m glad luck played out, and I think Matt brings me good luck every time. I got lucky at the last minute for the May 17, 2001 show at the Riviera with a ticket for $100. Thanks again (Mom), (Son), and (Friend), sorry I didn’t get your names! I hope you enjoyed the show as much, and probably more than I did! If I ever have an extra ticket to sell before a show, I’m going to sell it for face value like that. It is just the right thing to do for a well-deserving fan. I know how it feels.

We get inside, I buy the nice black tour shirt, and Matt and I part our ways and tell each to enjoy the show. I make my way up to Balcony 1, Row P, Seat 303. I settle down in my plush seat just before 8:00pm. It wasn’t a bad seat at all, just right of center looking at the stage. There was a pillar two rows in front of me but it was not in the way at all. Seat 304 directly to the left of me, however, was completely obstructed and nobody actually sat there, so it was nice to have a little extra room to groove to the music. I had a hard time realizing that I actually made it, and I was waiting to see my favorite band Tool perform in front of my very own eyes for the 3rd time. I should have pinched myself. I just looked around and observed the people around me.
OFFLINE |