View Single Post
noisetherapy's Avatar noisetherapy
05-09-2006, 09:14 AM

here are just some random thoughts about the production

after listenin to 10,000 days a number of times. i believe it is probably my favorite 'mix' of all the tool records. the variant mix on the lateralus vinyl also putting a smile on my face as well. the dynamic range on 10k is astounding. there is a loudness difference from intension to right in two. i dont think it was as intended as it turns out. i think barresi may have put adam too much to the front. danny has such a great sound being a drum tuning freak doesnt have enough room to shine on this album. i like how its not overly compressed, but still compressed enough to hear the very minimal of detail. i think the presence on this album sings. its so crisp and clean. i think barresi engineered a masterpiece in all honesty. i wonder if they used protools to do alot of the automation with levels. the idea of having maynard subdued (whoevers idea it was) was genius. its inspired me to try taking the vocals down in my mixes now. and i think its outstanding.

id like to know what gear maynards voice was going through on rosetta stoned. is it more than just a distortion to anyone? maybe distorted and through an outboard EQ?

BTW cheers on making this thread.

Last edited by noisetherapy; 05-09-2006 at 09:19 AM..
Old 05-09-2006, 09:14 AM   #75
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 26
Re: PROFESSIONAL AUDIO ENGINEERS/PRODUCERS THREAD

here are just some random thoughts about the production

after listenin to 10,000 days a number of times. i believe it is probably my favorite 'mix' of all the tool records. the variant mix on the lateralus vinyl also putting a smile on my face as well. the dynamic range on 10k is astounding. there is a loudness difference from intension to right in two. i dont think it was as intended as it turns out. i think barresi may have put adam too much to the front. danny has such a great sound being a drum tuning freak doesnt have enough room to shine on this album. i like how its not overly compressed, but still compressed enough to hear the very minimal of detail. i think the presence on this album sings. its so crisp and clean. i think barresi engineered a masterpiece in all honesty. i wonder if they used protools to do alot of the automation with levels. the idea of having maynard subdued (whoevers idea it was) was genius. its inspired me to try taking the vocals down in my mixes now. and i think its outstanding.

id like to know what gear maynards voice was going through on rosetta stoned. is it more than just a distortion to anyone? maybe distorted and through an outboard EQ?

BTW cheers on making this thread.

Last edited by noisetherapy; 05-09-2006 at 09:19 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote