View Single Post
Huff's Avatar Huff
05-08-2006, 06:58 AM

[QUOTE=P-Toes]This might sound silly, but I think a lot of you that are complaining about clipping might just be having an issue with your cd players. I noticed a lot of clips and pops when I made an exact copy of the cd and also when I imported the tracks into iTunes, which drove me kinda crazy. When I ripped the raw wave files using a different drive and a different program all those artifacts were gone.

I agree iTunes (as much as I love Apple) does create some buzzing and pops and the like. Its kind of annoying really.

Tool are one of the few bands that understand that the best dynamics are not achieved by printing the master tracks as hot as possible. I always have to turn Tool albums up a notch or two higher than other albums to get the same volume level relative to other cd's. And I know from reading interviews with Bob Ludwig that he stresses this approach to mastering.

This is very true....any audio mastering individual worth his salt will tell you that when it comes to master tracks (stereo) you need to use compression VERY sparingly....if you throw too much on there it's going to muddy something that already has a fair amount on the tracks (especially the guitar).

I think this is the best that the bass has sounded on any Tool record. The bass is the biggest standout for me. It's so punchy and gritty. Tons of texture, very warm and defined.

Absolutely....very warm indeed. Justin ownes on this record.

I thought the production on Lateralus was to fat and compressed....and so far I think 10k days is waaaay better. Also it sounds to me like the S/N ratio is much nicer on this record as well...

-David Cross
Old 05-08-2006, 06:58 AM   #63
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: PROFESSIONAL AUDIO ENGINEERS/PRODUCERS THREAD

[QUOTE=P-Toes]This might sound silly, but I think a lot of you that are complaining about clipping might just be having an issue with your cd players. I noticed a lot of clips and pops when I made an exact copy of the cd and also when I imported the tracks into iTunes, which drove me kinda crazy. When I ripped the raw wave files using a different drive and a different program all those artifacts were gone.

I agree iTunes (as much as I love Apple) does create some buzzing and pops and the like. Its kind of annoying really.

Tool are one of the few bands that understand that the best dynamics are not achieved by printing the master tracks as hot as possible. I always have to turn Tool albums up a notch or two higher than other albums to get the same volume level relative to other cd's. And I know from reading interviews with Bob Ludwig that he stresses this approach to mastering.

This is very true....any audio mastering individual worth his salt will tell you that when it comes to master tracks (stereo) you need to use compression VERY sparingly....if you throw too much on there it's going to muddy something that already has a fair amount on the tracks (especially the guitar).

I think this is the best that the bass has sounded on any Tool record. The bass is the biggest standout for me. It's so punchy and gritty. Tons of texture, very warm and defined.

Absolutely....very warm indeed. Justin ownes on this record.

I thought the production on Lateralus was to fat and compressed....and so far I think 10k days is waaaay better. Also it sounds to me like the S/N ratio is much nicer on this record as well...

-David Cross
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote