View Single Post
solidstate
05-07-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkabalus
What do the producers amongst us think of the clipping?

I was a bit surprised to hear it this widespread on a Tool record. Overall I like the mix and I think it's probably the best tom sounds Tool have gotten. It does sound best when cranked at a good volume though as at a low volume it doesn't seem to resolve individual instruments/tracks very well and sounds a bit muddled.
It's not clipping. It probably was running (relatively) hot on the tape and has a good deal of tape saturation, but any engineer who lets anything pass with clipping would be immediately fired.

Overall it's a pretty standard rock mix, except the vocals are mixed a bit lower then normal. Good deal of compression overall, which is normal for it's style of music. Probably a bit overcompressed for my taste, there are some spots where I can hear a bit of pumping and breathing from the compressor.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:49 PM   #55
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: PROFESSIONAL AUDIO ENGINEERS/PRODUCERS THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkabalus
What do the producers amongst us think of the clipping?

I was a bit surprised to hear it this widespread on a Tool record. Overall I like the mix and I think it's probably the best tom sounds Tool have gotten. It does sound best when cranked at a good volume though as at a low volume it doesn't seem to resolve individual instruments/tracks very well and sounds a bit muddled.
It's not clipping. It probably was running (relatively) hot on the tape and has a good deal of tape saturation, but any engineer who lets anything pass with clipping would be immediately fired.

Overall it's a pretty standard rock mix, except the vocals are mixed a bit lower then normal. Good deal of compression overall, which is normal for it's style of music. Probably a bit overcompressed for my taste, there are some spots where I can hear a bit of pumping and breathing from the compressor.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote