View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #28
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31
Re: 2006/09/03 - Oakland, CA - Oakland Arena

PART 1 OF 3

Last night would be my first time seeing a band live for a 3rd time, and fittingly it would be the band that began it all for me back in 2002 at the very same venue, TOOL. Time's have changed since then, but it's still a Tool show, and here's my little write-up on the evening of September 3rd, 2006:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Me and my friend Dan left for the BART station in Millbrae at 4 PM to take the train across the bay into Oakland (whoever came up with the brilliant idea to close the Bay Bride on Labor Day weekend, thanks a bunch). We arrived at the Oakland Arena around 5:30, and downed a couple sandwiches before heading to wait in front of the doors, which (according to me) were supposed to open at 6. So, we waited. And waited. Freezing our asses off, they finally open the doors at 7 PM, and wouldn't ya know it, we were in the wrong entrance. FUCK So we race down to the lower entrance where the general admission people get in, and have to wait in line there. Great start to the night :D

Once inside I quickly hit the merch stand and picked up an Isis shirt, then raced down to the front to find Dan, who was holding a spot for me. We didn't get rail, but we were about the 2nd/3rd row of people deep, so very very close, and on the left side of the stage (Adam's side). Waiting for roughly 45 mins for Isis to start, I got a good look around at the people I'd be spending the evening with. I've come to conclusion that Tool fans, in general,
are some of the worst fans in the world. Everybody is either only in love with Maynard (more on that later), or is just waiting to hear Stinkfist, Sober, Schism, etc. When you see guys in baggy Ecko jeans and sideways baseball caps, you know there's a problem. The crowd is very diverse, and this comes as a testament to Tool's appeal, but I couldn't help but noticing that there really shouldn't be a difference between the popularity of a band like Isis and a band like Tool. I tie Maynard's dislike for being idolized by millions of dumbfounded dipshits to his anti-social, sarcastic, distant, cold general disposition that he is portrayed as having. These guys didn't want to be stars, these are are a progressive rock band. I can't put my finger on why they became popular, cuz even the most anti-Tool people have to concede the fact that they don't write catchy songs and for the most part are highly unaccessible, especially in relation to a widespread audience/mainstream media. Perhaps there's a deeper message to be found in that, but it's hard to put my finger on. Irony? Jesus Christ was (as is still being) misunderstood and misinterpreted by millions of people as well......I dunno. I just can't get over the idea that Tool are really a band that, by all means, should have a rabid cult audience and play in small 1000 seat venues. In some ways its good that they got huge, because it has enabled them to have the money to put on bigger stage shows and also live a deservingly comfortable life, but at the same time when you have meatheads in the front row screaming out "This isn't Pink Floyd, play some rock and roll" during one of their electronic spacey jams, the point is lost. Anyhow, I digress. Hopefully you see my general point, even though I know that I didn't get it across as well as I should have. Maybe this final word on the matter will clear things up: talking to a guy on the train ride home, a die hard who got into them with Undertow, told me that 'Wings' was about George Bush and that the lyrics "I should play God and shoot you myself" are in fact from the song 'Intolerance', when they are actually part of 'Jerkoff.' Case in point.

Back to the show (sorry for that rant), Isis took the stage non-chalantly at precisely 8 PM and proceeded to strap 'em on and tear 'em up. I was absolutely floored by their performance, the intensity level was much higher than I expected. They had a huge banner behind them as the 'visual', and also made use of some atmospheric and well-placed lighting changes which suited the mood of the music. Their entire show flowed beautifully. Here's what they played:

1.) So Did We
2.) Dulcinea
3.) Not In Rivers, But In Drops
4.) Holy Tears

The band members each put out a lot of energy on stage, headbanging and moving with the flow of the music. One of the guys did double duty, playing lead on the guitar as well as taking care of the electronics and sampling on his computer thing. Not many people obviously knew the band, and I was gonna sing with 'So Did We' since I knew the words but decided not to make a fool of myself being the only one in the whole arena singing hehe. Everyone clapped and cheered for them though, and at the end Aaron Turner (singer/guitarist) thanked the crowd and Tool. The drummer was insane as well, when he started the double bass part on 'Dulcinea' who could just feel it pulsating bigtime through your body, deep and powerful as hell. The mix was superb too, you could even understand the singing when it was done cleanly (the dude has an awesome voice btw). They played a nice compact 30 minute set, and I cannot wait to see them in a headlining slot someday. They completely stunned and blew me away. I still have 'So Did We' and 'Dulcinea' stuck in my head all morning long. Goosebumps worthy shit.

Last edited by AMF; 09-04-2006 at 05:51 PM..
OFFLINE |