View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/03 - Oakland, CA - Oakland Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
Maynard barely said anything. he said somethign to the tune of "it's just rock songs..." after people went nuts when the show started. they played a generic setlist...i would've liked to see something off Opiate, or more off Lateralus. it was like they were robots--they really seem sick of playing live. only justin and danny actually seem to enjoy their jobs.
I can tell you've never seen Tool before. Sorry you didn't like the show, but I'm not quite sure what you expected from them. Was Adam not banging his head enough or something? He's never really been into that. Maynard has never really been into the silly in-between song banter either. Go see them again and next time don't get general admit tickets. Mosh pits are dumb and they will only impede your enjoyment of the show.

As for my experience, I thought it was absolutely fantastic! I was sitting to the band's left hand side and I was concerned at first about not seeing enough. My fears quickly diminished. I could see the band up close, see all of their visuals (on screen and on the stage they were standing on), and see a little of what the band was experiencing--both with behind the scenes lab coat roadies running around and looking out into the crowd.

Songwise they did not disappoint, swapping out Opiate (which I'm tired of) for Right in Two (my favorite song on the new record). The older stuff sounded great as well--loved the little improv jam before Sober. I have a new fondness for Rosetta Stoned, which I didn't really care for before this show. I thought Maynard's vocal ssounded good, much better than some of the bootlegs I've seen of previous shows where he has struggled to hit high notes he normally nails. The laser shows were a little ostentatious, but for the most part fit the vibe fine. Great visuals as usual. It's always great to see a hard working artist stiff like Adam make good for himself and have his art truly appreciated. And yes, I think the man running down the road was Maynard--doctored up to look like an emaciated alien of course! He has a place in Arizona, right? The background sure looked like Arizona.

I saw the ninja in the bart station too. Funny. I hope she wasn't a burn victim or something.

And to those of you having the artistic integrity argument, maybe you should try actually responding to the reviews for a change???
OFFLINE |