View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 12:13 PM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
live DVD:

i personally hope that they NEVER release a live DVD. a few years ago when bands started (not really STARTED) releasing videos of their live performances i was very happy. however, over the past couple years the use of cameras and the transfer to DVD has become so easy and accessible EVERYONE has jumped onto that "band-wagon." even bands that i respect get this wierd CHEAP vibe going on with the live performance. when you go see a show, you dont get to be behind or on the stage. there is no swooping camera angles with your eyes. basically, the genre of taping a live show has turned into a god-dam bon jovi HBO special. it no longer holds the artistic integrity it used to. for example, the NIN video realease Closure. this double video contains both a complete (at the time) video archive, and a MIXTURE of live performances. the actual film itself is artisticaly stimulating to watch. the way in which trent reznor edited the sound and film is quite amazing. however, it seems this "integrity" has gone down the shitter. ive seen tool 7 times now and NO fucking DVD or video can EVER compare to the actual live show.

ironically, i DO support bootlegs. for some reason, the rawness of the performance is caught on these tapes. usually, the cameraman is having to hide himself from the bouncers. thus, there is no swooping camera angles and pre-meditated speeches by the vocalist. the band and the audience are somewhat blind to whats going on (someone taping the show) and thus the "integrity" is kept alive. i personally own quite a bit of bootlegs (tool/etc) and dont really bother worrying about the bands opinion on the tapes. apparently the band is going to put on a show weither its taped or not. they probably dont care for my opinions.....and thus i dont care for theirs. i take their music very seriously yet i DO understand it is fucking "rock and roll" and being able to re-live the concert on your T.V. is an incredible experience in its own right. [...]

getting back to the subject at hand......i once again DENOUNCE the idea of tool doing a live DVD. thats about it.

-s p i r a l - o u t - k e e p - g o i n g-

Edit by Chris_Brightwell: Edited out the live recording offer. Please keep such offers out of these forums. Thanks.

Last edited by Chris_Brightwell; 11-19-2002 at 10:36 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote