View Single Post
spacemonkeyadb's Avatar spacemonkeyadb
07-18-2006, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
Seems like a few guys here don't get the point of this song.

There is plenty of things in Eden. But still the monkeys fight over ONE piece of ground. Every monkey wants to have everything of the ground, instead of giving his brother half and himself half. When there's ONE, you're bound to DIVIDE IT RIGHT IN TWO, That doesn't mean we DO IT, that means, we HAVE to do it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to bash anybody, that's my interpretation and I hope you get my point.

Edit: And if it IS what you mean, like, they DO divide it right in two, then "gotta divide it all" could mean the same thing. ;)
Thanks for clarifying your position. I see that you're taking the lyric to mean "bound to" as in "morally required to" rather than as "likely to". Here I think we have an issue worthy of further debate as it suggests 2 very different interpretations of the song...
(perhaps this should be posted elsewhere, but I'll put it here as it bears on the issue of the chorus lyrics)

INTERPRETATION 1: Us monkeys need to quit fighting over everything, and the solution is to divide things up and share. The chorus then recommends this solution to us.

INTERPRETATION 2: The problem is that us silly monkeys will fight over anything given the chance, with the unfortunate result that everything gets divided in two. The chorus then laments this unfortunate fact.

I'd really like to know if anyone else believes interpretation 1 is Tool's intended meaning. Anyways, here's why I think it is not:

"PLENTY in this holy garden, silly monkeys
Where there's one you're bound to divide it"

If there is plenty in this garden, then why the need to DIVIDE & share, why not just get another one?

Also, compare the above lyric with:

"Silly monkeys give them thumbs they forge a blade
And where there's one they're bound to divide it..."

Here the monkeys WILL forge a blade (just as earlier they WILL divide it). To apply interpretation 1 here in an analagous way you would require this to mean something like: The monkeys WILL forge a blade but unfortunately they forget that they are also bound(required) to then divide things with it as well.

Also, if being "bound to divide" is a good thing in both of the above lyrics, then compare with the later lyric:

"Silly monkeys give them thumbs they make a club,
And beat their brother down"

Is this also a positive thing? Or is it an unfortunate fact, just like how we are "bound(likely) to divide" things in the prrevious 2 cases?

And finally, I think interpretation 2 fits in much better with the whole perspective of the song, i.e. Angels looking down on the unfortunate plight of humanity, and lamenting their unfortunate condition.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #486
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6
Re: 10 - Right In Two lyrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
Seems like a few guys here don't get the point of this song.

There is plenty of things in Eden. But still the monkeys fight over ONE piece of ground. Every monkey wants to have everything of the ground, instead of giving his brother half and himself half. When there's ONE, you're bound to DIVIDE IT RIGHT IN TWO, That doesn't mean we DO IT, that means, we HAVE to do it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to bash anybody, that's my interpretation and I hope you get my point.

Edit: And if it IS what you mean, like, they DO divide it right in two, then "gotta divide it all" could mean the same thing. ;)
Thanks for clarifying your position. I see that you're taking the lyric to mean "bound to" as in "morally required to" rather than as "likely to". Here I think we have an issue worthy of further debate as it suggests 2 very different interpretations of the song...
(perhaps this should be posted elsewhere, but I'll put it here as it bears on the issue of the chorus lyrics)

INTERPRETATION 1: Us monkeys need to quit fighting over everything, and the solution is to divide things up and share. The chorus then recommends this solution to us.

INTERPRETATION 2: The problem is that us silly monkeys will fight over anything given the chance, with the unfortunate result that everything gets divided in two. The chorus then laments this unfortunate fact.

I'd really like to know if anyone else believes interpretation 1 is Tool's intended meaning. Anyways, here's why I think it is not:

"PLENTY in this holy garden, silly monkeys
Where there's one you're bound to divide it"

If there is plenty in this garden, then why the need to DIVIDE & share, why not just get another one?

Also, compare the above lyric with:

"Silly monkeys give them thumbs they forge a blade
And where there's one they're bound to divide it..."

Here the monkeys WILL forge a blade (just as earlier they WILL divide it). To apply interpretation 1 here in an analagous way you would require this to mean something like: The monkeys WILL forge a blade but unfortunately they forget that they are also bound(required) to then divide things with it as well.

Also, if being "bound to divide" is a good thing in both of the above lyrics, then compare with the later lyric:

"Silly monkeys give them thumbs they make a club,
And beat their brother down"

Is this also a positive thing? Or is it an unfortunate fact, just like how we are "bound(likely) to divide" things in the prrevious 2 cases?

And finally, I think interpretation 2 fits in much better with the whole perspective of the song, i.e. Angels looking down on the unfortunate plight of humanity, and lamenting their unfortunate condition.