View Single Post
Old 12-04-2002, 04:06 PM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
i see where you guys are coming from. Fight Club is my favourite movie, and Aenima my second favourite album (lateralus first...) but I have never considered any of these ideas.

Regarding that guy (forgot username) who quoted Einstein, Plato and the history of invention - i adhere to Terence McKenna's 'End Of Novelty' idea. He saw acid as an accelerator of novelty and invention in the DNA coding (similar to Bill Hick's monkeys eat shrooms/man on the moon theory - drugs facilitate evolution).

Technology is increasing and evolving at an ever faster rate every year (as Tim Leary said - see Aenima liner notes - every time a Futant pushes the boudaries of technology, the whole species evolves).

For the majority of 'modern' civilisation, people have travelled by horse and cart. the steam engine was invented in the early 19th century, followed by the industrial revolution, the advent of the internal combustion engine, radio, TV, computers, the microchip, the internet (an astounding development in collective consciousness) and now all these things are getting smaller and smaller, quicker and quicker.

McKenna's theory states that as consciousness evolves, the DNA coil winds tighter and tighter, speeding up as we invent more new things. soon novelty will occur so rapidly that it will become impossible. This will begin a whole new epoch of existence with the most advanced species on the planet having advanced as far and as fast as possible.

This is set to occur at towards the end of 2012 (coincidentally or not, the end of the Mayan calendar) and at the rate of technological advance described above, seems pretty likely.

All of the above is just a collection of information i've gathered - the connections between which i only realised as i typed this Not really related to the topic but worth a read anyway.

Correct anything i've got wrong as I've only read McKenna in passing, but I think you'll find it's a pretty logical/scary idea.

Hold on to your hats...