View Single Post
Old 12-01-2002, 08:28 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
great idea. ive thought something like this before, except i saw Marla as the anima (at least towards the end of the movie). part of the narrator's (Jack) anger towards Marla is jealousy that Tyler likes her better. ("At least she's trying to hit bottom")
also, the ending makes more sense when thinking of Marla as the anima. by finding his anima and embracing it, the narrator is becoming complete (according to Jung) by being of both the masculine and feminine psyche.
Tyler could also be seen as the Id of Freudian psychology, the place of unihibited aggressive, destructive, and sexual urges.

also, to those naysayers who believe that there isn't any possible inspiration of one to the other, the novel Fight Club obviously came out before the movie, although i'm not sure exactly when. but they are both obviously working off the same basis (Jungian theory), so maybe they are merely working of the same source material.

another thought i had, which has only a little relevance to this, is the simularity between a line in H. ("I have died. I will die. I don't mind.") and the story "Slaughterhouse 5" by Kurt Vonnegut, who is an influence on Palahniuk, the author of Fight Club (one of his essays talks about the authors he likes, you can find this on his website http://www.chuckpalahniuk.net/ ). in "Slaughterhouse 5," the main character, Billy Pilgrim, can travel to any moment in his life. although he has died, and he will die, he doesn't mind. he believes that he cannot change his future because it has already happened and it will happen. metaphorically this is the inability of people to avoid past mistakes from reuccuring due to ignorance that they can change things.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote