View Single Post
KJS955
06-23-2007, 03:32 PM

This was my second time seeing TOOL on the 10K Days tour.

Melt Banana was much better than I was expecting. They were at least extremely entertaining to watch... especially their guitarist. He was cracking me up. At one point, the singer said something like "You will all enjoy their show", talking about Tool. However, I think most of the crowd thought she said "our show" because there was a lack of enthusiasm from everyone. Then she put her hands up to her ears because I think she expected everyone to freak out when she mentioned Tool playing. A lot of people thought she was wanting them to cheer louder for Melt Banana and I was worried people would start booing. Luckily, people were respectful and clapped. I heard occasion boos throughout their set though. In my opinion, they were very fun to watch.

On to Tool...

Before Jambi started, Maynard got up on his riser and wiggled his fingers towards both sides of him and then in the center. I don't really know what he was doing, haha.

Jambi: I was afraid Jambi wouldn't be a very good opener but I was very wrong. They all sounded great and Maynard seemed to be enjoying himself. He came out with his neon orange Puscifer sweatshirt on but immediately removed it (as well as his cowboy hat) about 10 seconds into Jambi. Our seats were very close and I brought binoculars so I was able to see that he is sporting a mustache/goatee. He was doing his usual bull riding dance and the crowd seemed to really enjoy it. I don't know how he leans back that far without falling over. Justin was humping the air with his bass as soon as the song started. I laugh everytime I see him thrusting back and forth while he's playing. All in all, Jambi was very good.

Stinkfist: Before Stinkfist started, Maynard said something like "Good evening, St Louis". My boyfriend and I both thought that Stinkfist is the best opening song. They opened with Stinkfist when we saw them in KC last Fall and it was really good. However, Stinkfist was really great tonight too. It was really cool because we were so close and could see Danny counting off the beat. Maynard was watching him count and did a back kick when the song started. He kept kicking back on the downbeat for a little bit. The extended part of Stinkfist was really cool. However, my favorite part of the song was when Maynard did his normal "What?!" scream followed by a Lil Jon-styled "Okaaaay!". I don't think most of the crowd noticed it. However, instead of saying "I'll Keep Digging....", Maynard changed the words and I have NO idea what he said. If anyone was able to figure that out, please let me know!

Before The Pot, we were able to see Danny pull up his foot and show Maynard something. We don't know if he had a rock in his shoe or a blister or what? Maynard seemed to think it was quite funny though.

The Pot: I really wasn't expecting them to play this. Maynard started out the beginning on a much lower octave but his voice didn't sound strained. Justin was really enjoying the song. There wasn't much to say about The Pot. It sounded great and I had no idea Danny played so fast in the song.

46&2: The crowd got SUPER excited when this song started. It wasn't my favorite song of the night but it still sounded really good. Danny's drumming was really fun to watch.

Schism: I think the set list order should be rearranged because it felt weird to have those high energy songs and then go to Schism. It kinda shifts the mood a little bit. However, that doesn't mean I didn't love Schism. The extended part was great and I loved seeing Adam and Justin count to each other. The best part was seeing Adam semi-bob his head with his silly little pigtails.

Rosetta Stoned: Started out with Lost Keys which I enjoy. Rosetta Stoned was really fun and Maynard has sped up his lyrics A LOT. He goes super fast and then really slows down the "Hoooooly Fuuuuckiiiin Shiiiiiit" to stay on the beat with everyone else. I get the impression that Maynard speeds it up so much so he can kinda flub the lyrics. Really fun song though. At one point, Maynard started doing this robotic clap movement towards the audience so everyone was clapping with the beat. Watching Danny drum during the song was insane.

Intension/Right In Two: It took a long time for the crowd to realize what was being played. I knew Right In Two was coming because I had seen previous set lists and knew they played The Pot when they played RIT. Intension was nice and Right In Two was really great. The last few minutes of music during the song were amazing, especially the drumming.

After Right In Two, they all sat on the riser and Justin did his usual lighter thing. The whole Scottrade Center was lit up, it was insane. The lighter thing happened at the KC show I attended, but it wasn't nearly as light as last night's was. It was as if someone had turned on the lights in the room. Danny iced his arm and then threw the ice in the crowd. Then he swung his towel around his head.

Wings for Marie/10,000 Days: Everyone always seems to really enjoy this part of the show. While I agree that it is a good song(s) and the lasers are cool, I enjoy songs like Stinkfist more. However, I finally noticed the clouds in the lasers and that was definitely cool. I also enjoyed when the white curtain fell at the wings part of "Give me my WINGS" and revealed the Alex Grey art. Justin was sitting down during this song on a little stool and it had the word TOOL on the back of it.

Between these songs, there was the Prison Sex tease. I had read the reviews so I knew not to get my hopes up.

Lateralus: I think Lateralus is a GREAT song live. They sounded really good and at one point, Maynard said "Come on out here, Wes, you fuckin' hippie" and then some middle-aged guy came out there and played the bongos. Then Maynard introduced that fun guitarist from Melt Banana and he played over by Adam while Maynard left the stage. Danny started drumming really fast for a while while the guy named Wes was playing on the bongos. Justin was sitting on his knees watching them while he played his part. Adam took out his electric razor and was setting it on his strings every so often to make a cool noise. After a while though, Adam stopped doing his razor thing and just started watching the guitarist from Melt Banana play. Using my binoculars, I could see the expression on his face as he watched him and it was hilarious. He seemed absolutely fascinated and enthralled by the guitarist. He just stood and stared at him. Then Maynard came back out and they finished up the song.

After Lateralus, Maynard thanked Melt Banana, Wes, and then he thanked all of us for "taking a minute to come down there and watch them rock out". When he said that, Danny hit the drums as if Maynard had made a joke. Right before they started Vicarious, someone threw a CD up on stage. Maynard got down from his riser and picked it up. Justin was about to start Vicarious but Maynard said "No, Justin, wait. Someone doesn't want us to play, they want us to listen to their fuckin' demo. I'll be back in 10 minutes because I've gotta listen to this fuckin' demo". Then the crowd booed and Maynard said "...nevermind" and they started Vicarious.

Vicarious: I wish they would close with Lateralus instead of this. Surprisingly, the crowd got more pumped when this started than Lateralus. I do NOT think Danny dropped his sticks during this song. I had seats right by him and I saw him play during Vicarious. He took his sticks and threw each one in the air towards the crowd while he played. So perhaps that is why the person mentioned earlier that he/she saw him scramble for more sticks. Maynard did sing "La La La La La La Lie" but not "Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies". He did finish it thought with "Much better you than I".

After they finished that, they did a group hug, threw sticks/bottles/etc and thanked the crowd. Justin gave each part of the arena a "thumbs up" and Adam did a funny arm motion at one point. Maynard exited pretty quickly and Danny was the last one to leave. When it was only Danny on stage, the volume of the crowd went significantly higher and you could tell that Danny noticed it because he blew kisses to all of us as he walked off the stage.

I'm sorry this review is so long. When I read reviews from other shows, I always want as many details as possible so I tried to do that here for other people. Overall, I thought the show was GREAT and that they all sounded GREAT.

Now on the my personal favorite part of the show:

Before Melt Banana came on, my boyfriend and I were just sitting in our seats hanging out. We were in Section 101, which was on Danny/Justin's side. We were in row J and had a great view. When Justin was up on stage, I would say we were 20 feet from him. Anyway, so we were sitting there and it was about 7:20, and we saw some people on the floor walk past some security guards. We followed them with our eyes and saw ADAM standing right there by the side of the stage waiting for them. I was so excited that my boyfriend and I ran across our row toward him. I leaned over the railing and said "Hi, Adam!" and he looked up and gave his signature Adam Jones smile and said "Hi". It may not sound like a big deal but it totally made my night. The people around us had no idea that they just missed getting to speak to him. All I could think about all night was that Adam looked up at us specifically and said hi. Anyway, it was a great night!
Old 06-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/06/22 - St. Louis, MO - Scottrade Arena

This was my second time seeing TOOL on the 10K Days tour.

Melt Banana was much better than I was expecting. They were at least extremely entertaining to watch... especially their guitarist. He was cracking me up. At one point, the singer said something like "You will all enjoy their show", talking about Tool. However, I think most of the crowd thought she said "our show" because there was a lack of enthusiasm from everyone. Then she put her hands up to her ears because I think she expected everyone to freak out when she mentioned Tool playing. A lot of people thought she was wanting them to cheer louder for Melt Banana and I was worried people would start booing. Luckily, people were respectful and clapped. I heard occasion boos throughout their set though. In my opinion, they were very fun to watch.

On to Tool...

Before Jambi started, Maynard got up on his riser and wiggled his fingers towards both sides of him and then in the center. I don't really know what he was doing, haha.

Jambi: I was afraid Jambi wouldn't be a very good opener but I was very wrong. They all sounded great and Maynard seemed to be enjoying himself. He came out with his neon orange Puscifer sweatshirt on but immediately removed it (as well as his cowboy hat) about 10 seconds into Jambi. Our seats were very close and I brought binoculars so I was able to see that he is sporting a mustache/goatee. He was doing his usual bull riding dance and the crowd seemed to really enjoy it. I don't know how he leans back that far without falling over. Justin was humping the air with his bass as soon as the song started. I laugh everytime I see him thrusting back and forth while he's playing. All in all, Jambi was very good.

Stinkfist: Before Stinkfist started, Maynard said something like "Good evening, St Louis". My boyfriend and I both thought that Stinkfist is the best opening song. They opened with Stinkfist when we saw them in KC last Fall and it was really good. However, Stinkfist was really great tonight too. It was really cool because we were so close and could see Danny counting off the beat. Maynard was watching him count and did a back kick when the song started. He kept kicking back on the downbeat for a little bit. The extended part of Stinkfist was really cool. However, my favorite part of the song was when Maynard did his normal "What?!" scream followed by a Lil Jon-styled "Okaaaay!". I don't think most of the crowd noticed it. However, instead of saying "I'll Keep Digging....", Maynard changed the words and I have NO idea what he said. If anyone was able to figure that out, please let me know!

Before The Pot, we were able to see Danny pull up his foot and show Maynard something. We don't know if he had a rock in his shoe or a blister or what? Maynard seemed to think it was quite funny though.

The Pot: I really wasn't expecting them to play this. Maynard started out the beginning on a much lower octave but his voice didn't sound strained. Justin was really enjoying the song. There wasn't much to say about The Pot. It sounded great and I had no idea Danny played so fast in the song.

46&2: The crowd got SUPER excited when this song started. It wasn't my favorite song of the night but it still sounded really good. Danny's drumming was really fun to watch.

Schism: I think the set list order should be rearranged because it felt weird to have those high energy songs and then go to Schism. It kinda shifts the mood a little bit. However, that doesn't mean I didn't love Schism. The extended part was great and I loved seeing Adam and Justin count to each other. The best part was seeing Adam semi-bob his head with his silly little pigtails.

Rosetta Stoned: Started out with Lost Keys which I enjoy. Rosetta Stoned was really fun and Maynard has sped up his lyrics A LOT. He goes super fast and then really slows down the "Hoooooly Fuuuuckiiiin Shiiiiiit" to stay on the beat with everyone else. I get the impression that Maynard speeds it up so much so he can kinda flub the lyrics. Really fun song though. At one point, Maynard started doing this robotic clap movement towards the audience so everyone was clapping with the beat. Watching Danny drum during the song was insane.

Intension/Right In Two: It took a long time for the crowd to realize what was being played. I knew Right In Two was coming because I had seen previous set lists and knew they played The Pot when they played RIT. Intension was nice and Right In Two was really great. The last few minutes of music during the song were amazing, especially the drumming.

After Right In Two, they all sat on the riser and Justin did his usual lighter thing. The whole Scottrade Center was lit up, it was insane. The lighter thing happened at the KC show I attended, but it wasn't nearly as light as last night's was. It was as if someone had turned on the lights in the room. Danny iced his arm and then threw the ice in the crowd. Then he swung his towel around his head.

Wings for Marie/10,000 Days: Everyone always seems to really enjoy this part of the show. While I agree that it is a good song(s) and the lasers are cool, I enjoy songs like Stinkfist more. However, I finally noticed the clouds in the lasers and that was definitely cool. I also enjoyed when the white curtain fell at the wings part of "Give me my WINGS" and revealed the Alex Grey art. Justin was sitting down during this song on a little stool and it had the word TOOL on the back of it.

Between these songs, there was the Prison Sex tease. I had read the reviews so I knew not to get my hopes up.

Lateralus: I think Lateralus is a GREAT song live. They sounded really good and at one point, Maynard said "Come on out here, Wes, you fuckin' hippie" and then some middle-aged guy came out there and played the bongos. Then Maynard introduced that fun guitarist from Melt Banana and he played over by Adam while Maynard left the stage. Danny started drumming really fast for a while while the guy named Wes was playing on the bongos. Justin was sitting on his knees watching them while he played his part. Adam took out his electric razor and was setting it on his strings every so often to make a cool noise. After a while though, Adam stopped doing his razor thing and just started watching the guitarist from Melt Banana play. Using my binoculars, I could see the expression on his face as he watched him and it was hilarious. He seemed absolutely fascinated and enthralled by the guitarist. He just stood and stared at him. Then Maynard came back out and they finished up the song.

After Lateralus, Maynard thanked Melt Banana, Wes, and then he thanked all of us for "taking a minute to come down there and watch them rock out". When he said that, Danny hit the drums as if Maynard had made a joke. Right before they started Vicarious, someone threw a CD up on stage. Maynard got down from his riser and picked it up. Justin was about to start Vicarious but Maynard said "No, Justin, wait. Someone doesn't want us to play, they want us to listen to their fuckin' demo. I'll be back in 10 minutes because I've gotta listen to this fuckin' demo". Then the crowd booed and Maynard said "...nevermind" and they started Vicarious.

Vicarious: I wish they would close with Lateralus instead of this. Surprisingly, the crowd got more pumped when this started than Lateralus. I do NOT think Danny dropped his sticks during this song. I had seats right by him and I saw him play during Vicarious. He took his sticks and threw each one in the air towards the crowd while he played. So perhaps that is why the person mentioned earlier that he/she saw him scramble for more sticks. Maynard did sing "La La La La La La Lie" but not "Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies". He did finish it thought with "Much better you than I".

After they finished that, they did a group hug, threw sticks/bottles/etc and thanked the crowd. Justin gave each part of the arena a "thumbs up" and Adam did a funny arm motion at one point. Maynard exited pretty quickly and Danny was the last one to leave. When it was only Danny on stage, the volume of the crowd went significantly higher and you could tell that Danny noticed it because he blew kisses to all of us as he walked off the stage.

I'm sorry this review is so long. When I read reviews from other shows, I always want as many details as possible so I tried to do that here for other people. Overall, I thought the show was GREAT and that they all sounded GREAT.

Now on the my personal favorite part of the show:

Before Melt Banana came on, my boyfriend and I were just sitting in our seats hanging out. We were in Section 101, which was on Danny/Justin's side. We were in row J and had a great view. When Justin was up on stage, I would say we were 20 feet from him. Anyway, so we were sitting there and it was about 7:20, and we saw some people on the floor walk past some security guards. We followed them with our eyes and saw ADAM standing right there by the side of the stage waiting for them. I was so excited that my boyfriend and I ran across our row toward him. I leaned over the railing and said "Hi, Adam!" and he looked up and gave his signature Adam Jones smile and said "Hi". It may not sound like a big deal but it totally made my night. The people around us had no idea that they just missed getting to speak to him. All I could think about all night was that Adam looked up at us specifically and said hi. Anyway, it was a great night!