View Single Post
Old 10-05-2003, 11:07 AM   #62
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Ignorant Response

Original Posting From paraflux
Maynard uses the example of Christ, as he often does, to illustrate his point about sheep following blindly as well as to make fun of people who allow themselves to be put on a pedestal.

Simple, eloquent, and poignant. Being that I myself have a lot of anger towards religious martyrs, especially Jesus Christ, it's easy to identify this hateful song with that being. I'm talking to a lot of Christians right now; I'm trying to see their perspective on what Christianity has brought to them. The more I talk to these people, I see how their ideas, beliefs, feelings, and emotions are dictated by what others say (the Bible).

I am venturing into the Bible. Why not? The Bible seems to be the book that everyone has an opinion on whether they have read it or not. It's amazing to see these people latch on to every word and thought to dictate who they are and how they dictate their lives.

I have found Christians who believe, and their thoughts are genuine unto themselves. I'm looking because I want to believe so much that Jesus Christ was sent to "die for me". At the end of the crucifixion to ask God why was all this possible: Jesus Christ essentially seperated himself from God, and this ultimately proves the Trinity to be facade.

God is God. Was God truly the person to send himself (Jesus was the son but also God in the flesh--Trinity)--to earth, as a mortal--to identify with us and save us.

The last three lines of Eulogy bring my belief in the context of the poetry into question:

To ascend you must die
You must be crucified
Goodbye

The song was so cut-and-dry, but now it seems to not be a hateful work against the ministry of Jesus Christ--or where these statements there to serve a sarcastic purpose?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote