View Single Post
Old 09-30-2003, 11:22 AM   #52
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Eulogy of Jesus Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
The story is that Jesus died for our sins so that we could have a chance at heaven. Is it a metaphor?

Some people are stuck thinking that
a) Maynard is always writing from his own perspective when in actuality he takes on many different characters
b) Tool hates Jesus when it is actually christianity that is to blame, men in power controlling the weak
Let me ask this: How does Jesus's sacrifice allow us to get to heaven? If I murdered an innocent man, and Jesus sacrifices himself for me, how can that rectify what I did? I am still a murderer. I never asked for forgiveness or expressed any regret for my actions. I am evil and Jesus has just let me into heaven. That is BS.

Also, I agree that Tool doesn't "hate Jesus", but does in some way want to make people realize the hold Christianty has over the world. So if they want to attack Christianity, it makes sense to attack Jesus. Cut off the head of the Beast. To think anything Tool says about Jesus is an actual pointed attack on the actions of Jesus as a person or being is wrong, they are just attacking the ideas of a flawed belief system.

Personally, I think this song COULD have to do with "Jesus as a person." Someone with a messianic complex who thinks they are God's son (and if Jesus the person ever really lived, this is one possible explanation). For the sake of this argument, let's assume this about Jesus the person. He of course did convince some people he was God's son. These people wrote the Gospel and it was passed on and on with few followers until Emperor Constanine made Christianity the universal Roman religion. In this case, Maynard could be looking back into history and saying, yeah, Jesus, you sure fooled a lot of people. But I know you are not divinity, I'm not fooled. I know its all bullshit. You failed to get me.

Now that's just a personal interpretation, and I know its a stretch.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote