View Single Post
NAILS
06-07-2006, 06:59 AM

Deuceman, Well done man.. The only thing that I would change is, in my opinion, Maynard is the only member of the band that has lost his energy. If you listen to Opiate through Aenima, Maynard sings with an incredible amount conviction and intensity. You have to pay attention to what he is saying. It is like the music is coming directly from his soul.

On Lateralus and to a lesser extent 10,000 Days. Maynard does not sound like he is feeling the music. The music is now just being spit out of his mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
Good for you, knot of vipers, for having an opinion.

Now, to the OP, I have yet to see a band that doesn’t change over time, doesn’t appear to be less... hungry? Because they simply aren’t hungry. They are fed. They are secure. They can explore now to their heart's content, which was part of the problem earlier on in their lives. You cant stay angry forever, especially if you are feeding yourself.
Paraflux, I agree completely, I think the Maynard's "Hunger" is probably the biggest reason that he does not have the energy he had in Tool's earlier albums. Let's face it, life is just more straight forward when you get older. There is less to bitch about:)
Old 06-07-2006, 06:59 AM   #23
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: Go back and listen to early Tool....

Deuceman, Well done man.. The only thing that I would change is, in my opinion, Maynard is the only member of the band that has lost his energy. If you listen to Opiate through Aenima, Maynard sings with an incredible amount conviction and intensity. You have to pay attention to what he is saying. It is like the music is coming directly from his soul.

On Lateralus and to a lesser extent 10,000 Days. Maynard does not sound like he is feeling the music. The music is now just being spit out of his mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
Good for you, knot of vipers, for having an opinion.

Now, to the OP, I have yet to see a band that doesn’t change over time, doesn’t appear to be less... hungry? Because they simply aren’t hungry. They are fed. They are secure. They can explore now to their heart's content, which was part of the problem earlier on in their lives. You cant stay angry forever, especially if you are feeding yourself.
Paraflux, I agree completely, I think the Maynard's "Hunger" is probably the biggest reason that he does not have the energy he had in Tool's earlier albums. Let's face it, life is just more straight forward when you get older. There is less to bitch about:)