View Single Post
deuceman's Avatar deuceman
06-07-2006, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlycontent
yeah ok , you'll probably get flamed by some for this thread, but i'll jump in first and give ya a bit of backup here. I totally understand what you're saying, umm, the thing is I do believe Maynard aswell as the rest of the band have elevated their musicianship since the early days. BUT, when you listen to the earler recordings, yes Maynrd does seem to be displaying more raw emotion that is so damn intense & even... umm what's the word i'm looking for??? all-encompassing? no. ummmm Infectious!!! Yes that's it. ( & yeah i do type everything as i'm thinking it) I remember being 15 y/o & hearing Opiate, this is back when i was looking for some music that i could listen to, going through all genres, my sister was trying to get me into Metallica and the like, but holy f*cking shit, Opiate was so damn Infectious.. yes Infectious, that I went and grabbed Undertow a few days later and again, holy fu*king shit. OK back to the topic of the thread sir, I do believe Maynards vocals are far less raw and even less emotional these days, some may argue that songs like Wings pt.2 are more emotional than older Tool stuff, and yeah it's emotional, but not raw emotion, more like, rehearsed emotion imo. I do love this new album, aswell as all Tools work. peace
Is tricky to put into words so others don't misunderstand. I love all the albums, and I'm really getting into 10,000 Days, but I'm starting to believe those who are saying this will be the last album.

To say that on 10,000 Days the guys are just going through the motions is probably unfair, and I don't think that's the case. But I think it's become more of a profession / job type thing than the earlier albums. I just don't hear the same sincerity and intensity in Maynard's voice.

Now that I've said it I guess it could simply be that he is grieving for his mother, perhaps he is just tired, fed up, and wants to move on. I don't think that means he doesn't give a shit about the band. I just think his heart might not be 100% in it anymore. Which is cool. It's his life...

As for the others in the band, they're probably all still enjoying it. All of them have grown and evolved as musicians. Perhaps what we're seeing here is that MJK adds the missing ingredient between fucking awesome and total perfection. No MJK, no Tool. Stating the obvious, of course...
Old 06-07-2006, 04:41 AM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367
Re: Go back and listen to early Tool....

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlycontent
yeah ok , you'll probably get flamed by some for this thread, but i'll jump in first and give ya a bit of backup here. I totally understand what you're saying, umm, the thing is I do believe Maynard aswell as the rest of the band have elevated their musicianship since the early days. BUT, when you listen to the earler recordings, yes Maynrd does seem to be displaying more raw emotion that is so damn intense & even... umm what's the word i'm looking for??? all-encompassing? no. ummmm Infectious!!! Yes that's it. ( & yeah i do type everything as i'm thinking it) I remember being 15 y/o & hearing Opiate, this is back when i was looking for some music that i could listen to, going through all genres, my sister was trying to get me into Metallica and the like, but holy f*cking shit, Opiate was so damn Infectious.. yes Infectious, that I went and grabbed Undertow a few days later and again, holy fu*king shit. OK back to the topic of the thread sir, I do believe Maynards vocals are far less raw and even less emotional these days, some may argue that songs like Wings pt.2 are more emotional than older Tool stuff, and yeah it's emotional, but not raw emotion, more like, rehearsed emotion imo. I do love this new album, aswell as all Tools work. peace
Is tricky to put into words so others don't misunderstand. I love all the albums, and I'm really getting into 10,000 Days, but I'm starting to believe those who are saying this will be the last album.

To say that on 10,000 Days the guys are just going through the motions is probably unfair, and I don't think that's the case. But I think it's become more of a profession / job type thing than the earlier albums. I just don't hear the same sincerity and intensity in Maynard's voice.

Now that I've said it I guess it could simply be that he is grieving for his mother, perhaps he is just tired, fed up, and wants to move on. I don't think that means he doesn't give a shit about the band. I just think his heart might not be 100% in it anymore. Which is cool. It's his life...

As for the others in the band, they're probably all still enjoying it. All of them have grown and evolved as musicians. Perhaps what we're seeing here is that MJK adds the missing ingredient between fucking awesome and total perfection. No MJK, no Tool. Stating the obvious, of course...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote