View Single Post
subtlety
05-04-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch
I think this song puts The Grudge into context too when you consider the lyrics (Saturn ascending equaling aproximatly 10,000 days). It's basically a song about forgiveness after a long period of animosity.
I like your point, and I definately think that there may be some relation between the grudge and judith, wings, 10000 days and jimmy. Personally I perceived the grudge to be too angry for a song about his mom, and specifically in regard to the "ascension of Saturn", I took as an astrological reference. the roman astrologer Marcus Manilius labelled Saturn as cold, lonely and miserable, representing the qualities of restriction, reality and crystalization. These qualities certainly fit the profile of an individual that Maynard could be talking about in the grudge, but anyway, thats just an idea I have about the grudge---back to 10000 days.

Some other Saturn facts to note:

Saturn's orbit takes 10,759.22 earth days to truly orbit the sun (that is to return to the same location relative to the stars). This is close to 10000 days but its a stretch.

But also to note in regards to Dispatch's post, Hinduism knew Saturn as the celestial being Shani, and he was worshipped by those going through a bad period in their lives. Based on Tool's and Alex Grey's (the artist that did the album artwork for Lateralus and 10000 days) references to the "third eye"and shakras (both Hindu symbols) I am now inclined to interpret the Saturn reference in the Grudge to hold the Hindu meanings, which fits very well with Dispatch's idea, that Saturn ascending is a period of forgiveness by someone going through a hard time (like when dealing with your mom's paralysis).

So to conclude this mess, as it is widely known throughout these forums there are many many potential interpretations of tool's lyrics, and I definately think that Dispatch has a good one here conecting the Grudge to 10000 days, jimmy and judith. It wasn't my perspective but after I looked into it I agree with it more and more. I just think it may be a stretch to base the connection on 10000 days equalling the length of saturn's orbit or "ascension".

Last edited by subtlety; 05-04-2006 at 04:25 PM..
Old 05-04-2006, 04:22 PM   #88
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: The real meaning of 10000 Days (worth reading)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch
I think this song puts The Grudge into context too when you consider the lyrics (Saturn ascending equaling aproximatly 10,000 days). It's basically a song about forgiveness after a long period of animosity.
I like your point, and I definately think that there may be some relation between the grudge and judith, wings, 10000 days and jimmy. Personally I perceived the grudge to be too angry for a song about his mom, and specifically in regard to the "ascension of Saturn", I took as an astrological reference. the roman astrologer Marcus Manilius labelled Saturn as cold, lonely and miserable, representing the qualities of restriction, reality and crystalization. These qualities certainly fit the profile of an individual that Maynard could be talking about in the grudge, but anyway, thats just an idea I have about the grudge---back to 10000 days.

Some other Saturn facts to note:

Saturn's orbit takes 10,759.22 earth days to truly orbit the sun (that is to return to the same location relative to the stars). This is close to 10000 days but its a stretch.

But also to note in regards to Dispatch's post, Hinduism knew Saturn as the celestial being Shani, and he was worshipped by those going through a bad period in their lives. Based on Tool's and Alex Grey's (the artist that did the album artwork for Lateralus and 10000 days) references to the "third eye"and shakras (both Hindu symbols) I am now inclined to interpret the Saturn reference in the Grudge to hold the Hindu meanings, which fits very well with Dispatch's idea, that Saturn ascending is a period of forgiveness by someone going through a hard time (like when dealing with your mom's paralysis).

So to conclude this mess, as it is widely known throughout these forums there are many many potential interpretations of tool's lyrics, and I definately think that Dispatch has a good one here conecting the Grudge to 10000 days, jimmy and judith. It wasn't my perspective but after I looked into it I agree with it more and more. I just think it may be a stretch to base the connection on 10000 days equalling the length of saturn's orbit or "ascension".

Last edited by subtlety; 05-04-2006 at 04:25 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote