View Single Post
boobah's Avatar boobah
07-29-2009, 12:43 PM

I am an Atlanta "Metal Head". I grew up with Tool though. I outgrew moshing YEARS ago. My Last Concerts I went to were: (from the most recent) Tool, Springsteen, Lamb of God & friends, Slipknot, Barry Manilow.

The most expensive of those shows was Springsteen. And I left after half an hour. The people at that show were the snottiest bunch I've ever encountered.
Slipknot's crowd was just a bunch of self-loathing angry teenage "maggots" (I have since decided I'm not a slipknot fan)
Uhm, Yeah I thoroughly enjoyed the Barry Manilow concert :) At 30, I was still among the youngest people there, But the others were friendly folks happy to interact with each other.
Metal Concerts (Not mainstream pop metal like slipknot) Have the friendliest crowds of all. They know who WANTS to mosh and who doesn't. They respect each other. You can have a conversation with anybody there. I think the reason is, at Metal shows, everyone is there more to have a good time than to take in the music. (and if you are a metal outsider and see us as a bunch of angry people, well that's the "maggots" that there are too many of running around, and I would rebut, The metal community I am speaking of is like unto what you see in movies like Wayne;s World and Tenacious D: Pick of Destiny)

Tool is a large enough sell to attract a lot of "maggots". I gave up two opportunities to be on the floor because I knew they'd be down there. They're always down there. Even at the metal shows, they don't know the polite moshing manners (example, see a brother fall, number one priority GET HIM BACK ON HIS FEET) At some of the heaviest shows I've been to, When it gets REALLY thrashing on the floor, as soon as an ass or an elbow touches the ground, ten pairs of hands are already down there picking him back up.
"Maggots" are happy to stomp you.

Sorry for being presumptuous all you Slipknot fans, but too many of your kind have proven me right.

The Tool Crowd actually wasn't as bad as I expected. I thought it would be like Springsteen, everyone in their own snotty place enjoying the songs they love. (Last time I saw Tool was before Lateralus so I had a presumption of what the fanbase had become)
I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness. (not that friendly, A lot of you ARE assholes, but Not NEARLY as much as Springsteen Fans)

I would rate Tool Fans a distant Second, on friendliness alone, Just a Notch above Barry Manilow Fans.

Edit: I am a "Tool Fan" by the way. I came to this show to enjoy the music and I was getting very annoyed by the people sitting next to me for having loud conversations, So please consider all of the above OBJECTIVE. I am lumping Myself in WITH you.

Last edited by boobah; 07-29-2009 at 12:48 PM..
Old 07-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #79
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.27.09 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnett Arena

I am an Atlanta "Metal Head". I grew up with Tool though. I outgrew moshing YEARS ago. My Last Concerts I went to were: (from the most recent) Tool, Springsteen, Lamb of God & friends, Slipknot, Barry Manilow.

The most expensive of those shows was Springsteen. And I left after half an hour. The people at that show were the snottiest bunch I've ever encountered.
Slipknot's crowd was just a bunch of self-loathing angry teenage "maggots" (I have since decided I'm not a slipknot fan)
Uhm, Yeah I thoroughly enjoyed the Barry Manilow concert :) At 30, I was still among the youngest people there, But the others were friendly folks happy to interact with each other.
Metal Concerts (Not mainstream pop metal like slipknot) Have the friendliest crowds of all. They know who WANTS to mosh and who doesn't. They respect each other. You can have a conversation with anybody there. I think the reason is, at Metal shows, everyone is there more to have a good time than to take in the music. (and if you are a metal outsider and see us as a bunch of angry people, well that's the "maggots" that there are too many of running around, and I would rebut, The metal community I am speaking of is like unto what you see in movies like Wayne;s World and Tenacious D: Pick of Destiny)

Tool is a large enough sell to attract a lot of "maggots". I gave up two opportunities to be on the floor because I knew they'd be down there. They're always down there. Even at the metal shows, they don't know the polite moshing manners (example, see a brother fall, number one priority GET HIM BACK ON HIS FEET) At some of the heaviest shows I've been to, When it gets REALLY thrashing on the floor, as soon as an ass or an elbow touches the ground, ten pairs of hands are already down there picking him back up.
"Maggots" are happy to stomp you.

Sorry for being presumptuous all you Slipknot fans, but too many of your kind have proven me right.

The Tool Crowd actually wasn't as bad as I expected. I thought it would be like Springsteen, everyone in their own snotty place enjoying the songs they love. (Last time I saw Tool was before Lateralus so I had a presumption of what the fanbase had become)
I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness. (not that friendly, A lot of you ARE assholes, but Not NEARLY as much as Springsteen Fans)

I would rate Tool Fans a distant Second, on friendliness alone, Just a Notch above Barry Manilow Fans.

Edit: I am a "Tool Fan" by the way. I came to this show to enjoy the music and I was getting very annoyed by the people sitting next to me for having loud conversations, So please consider all of the above OBJECTIVE. I am lumping Myself in WITH you.

Last edited by boobah; 07-29-2009 at 12:48 PM..
OFFLINE |