View Single Post
seznar
07-28-2009, 09:01 PM

Well, I drove a total of 18 hours by myself to see this show. I live in South Florida, and knew that this was potentially my only chance to see my favorite band. First I want to say that Tweak Bird was awesome!

Everybody was bitching about them around me. Which leads me to say that the "tool fans" I met were some of the biggest douches I have encountered. Don't get me wrong, there were some cool people, but my god drunken hick baffoons moshing and punching and fighting. I understand if you want to get a little rowdy during aenima and such, and I know that it is a "rock" concert.. I've been in plenty of pits, but basically what I saw were people who A. were trying to start fights. B. people filming and shooting pictutres the whole time, and c. the kids who would freak out if you decided to clap or hoot because they couldn't focus on the color of Adam's pants for 2 seconds.

With that aside, now comes the part that actually matters:

Well, what can I say I have finally had my Tool cherry popped. It was bound to happen eventually and I wouldn't have it any other way. The show rocked from the start. I was about 5 rows of people back from the front; between Adam and Maynard. The whole experience was quite surreal because I couldn't believe how close I was to my favorite band. I don't really feel like breaking down every song, but overall I was extremely pleased with the performance. I swear I heard the opening of the song H. during Lost Keys, but I was duped. The sound wasn't crystal clear, but that has to be expected when so close to the stage.

Maynard's vocals at least from where I was and what I could hear were definitely lacking. Maybe it was just where I was, but even without the megaphone his voice sounded robotic and distorted ( of course even then he still is in my opinion one of the best vocalists around) .
It seemed like he was into much more in the beginning, and then the energy sort of wavered. I did like his outfit though. It reminds me of the Lateralus tour bootlegs that I've seen. Overall though I'd give him a 7/10 vocal wise.

The rest of the band was definitely on their game. Adam moved around the stage quite a bit. Justin was grooving, and Danny is satan. They played very tight for the most part, and it was fascinating watching them look at each other during certain parts to make sure that they were on the same beat for the big climaxes.

The light show and visuals were incredible. I really like the stage setup compared to bootlegs of previous tours. It seems to be the perfect balance of simplicity and high tech tripiness. I liked the enochian magick board making a reappearance high up by the lights.

So this little review has been very sloppy, but I'm exhausted. Basically the show rocked, and I am grateful to have see my favorite band. The set list was a little disappointing but that is just because I knew what to expect from reading the forums. Maynard lacked, but hey I kinda lacked energy too when I was there... shit happens, and I still think he did a good job. Adam and the rest of the boys really seemed to enjoy themselves, and I did as well. Overall, I'd give the show an 8.5.

I do wish that I would have been blown away by seeing them. Of course, I'm stoked after it, but not blown away. I'd see them again in a hearbeat though.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #60
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.27.09 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnett Arena

Well, I drove a total of 18 hours by myself to see this show. I live in South Florida, and knew that this was potentially my only chance to see my favorite band. First I want to say that Tweak Bird was awesome!

Everybody was bitching about them around me. Which leads me to say that the "tool fans" I met were some of the biggest douches I have encountered. Don't get me wrong, there were some cool people, but my god drunken hick baffoons moshing and punching and fighting. I understand if you want to get a little rowdy during aenima and such, and I know that it is a "rock" concert.. I've been in plenty of pits, but basically what I saw were people who A. were trying to start fights. B. people filming and shooting pictutres the whole time, and c. the kids who would freak out if you decided to clap or hoot because they couldn't focus on the color of Adam's pants for 2 seconds.

With that aside, now comes the part that actually matters:

Well, what can I say I have finally had my Tool cherry popped. It was bound to happen eventually and I wouldn't have it any other way. The show rocked from the start. I was about 5 rows of people back from the front; between Adam and Maynard. The whole experience was quite surreal because I couldn't believe how close I was to my favorite band. I don't really feel like breaking down every song, but overall I was extremely pleased with the performance. I swear I heard the opening of the song H. during Lost Keys, but I was duped. The sound wasn't crystal clear, but that has to be expected when so close to the stage.

Maynard's vocals at least from where I was and what I could hear were definitely lacking. Maybe it was just where I was, but even without the megaphone his voice sounded robotic and distorted ( of course even then he still is in my opinion one of the best vocalists around) .
It seemed like he was into much more in the beginning, and then the energy sort of wavered. I did like his outfit though. It reminds me of the Lateralus tour bootlegs that I've seen. Overall though I'd give him a 7/10 vocal wise.

The rest of the band was definitely on their game. Adam moved around the stage quite a bit. Justin was grooving, and Danny is satan. They played very tight for the most part, and it was fascinating watching them look at each other during certain parts to make sure that they were on the same beat for the big climaxes.

The light show and visuals were incredible. I really like the stage setup compared to bootlegs of previous tours. It seems to be the perfect balance of simplicity and high tech tripiness. I liked the enochian magick board making a reappearance high up by the lights.

So this little review has been very sloppy, but I'm exhausted. Basically the show rocked, and I am grateful to have see my favorite band. The set list was a little disappointing but that is just because I knew what to expect from reading the forums. Maynard lacked, but hey I kinda lacked energy too when I was there... shit happens, and I still think he did a good job. Adam and the rest of the boys really seemed to enjoy themselves, and I did as well. Overall, I'd give the show an 8.5.

I do wish that I would have been blown away by seeing them. Of course, I'm stoked after it, but not blown away. I'd see them again in a hearbeat though.
OFFLINE |