knuckle deep
elbow deep
shoulder deep
this may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to
so it has to go deeper and deeper

tired moments into pleasure - T.v
constant over stimulation
has to keep going further[/QUOTE

That definately seems to be the basic idea, I agree. And I think a little more specifically that it is about a relationship/sexual love. "Show me that you love me and that we belong together" would be a very poor lyric in the context of desensitization to something nonhuman, though I do think there is plenty of room for personal interpretation using the general notions of desensitization and significance/meaning(losing, seeking & finding) Consider also that live Maynard sings a part of the song "Suspicious Minds"--"can't walk out...I love you too much baby", and don't forget the male and female companions in the video.
And I just wanted to make a short response to those who really think he is talking about drug addiction. I just think you really have to torture the lyrics for them to make sense from that perspective and it just seems to make much more sense in the aforementioned way. But I'm not criticizing people who hear it that way and I don't want to rob anyone of their own interpretation but consider this: If the song really is about struggle with drug addiction we would have to admit that Maynard would be being very redundant with the content of his songs and quite obsessed with that experience. Consider that the song 'Undertow' is explicitly about that struggle and that many people think that 'swampsong' also makes a lot of sense in this context and the two may even be linked in that they may be two narratives of one situation.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote