Thread: Hypocritical?
View Single Post
Caduceus11's Avatar Caduceus11
05-24-2006, 03:01 PM

I love it so much when people get so wrapped up in the music or the band that they think they KNOW what the lyrics meant to the writer. TOOL/Maynard's lyrics are quite flexible and leave room for interpretations. All of this is pure speculation and each person's own interpretation. So in keeping that in mind here's MY take:
We all know what 10,000 days is. We've heard the song over and over and over again. This song is a tribute to his mother whom he loved dearly, as a good son does his mother. Judith Marie was a Christian woman who lived a Christian lifestyle. Maynard, angered by what had happened to his mother has often expressed his disdain for God.
But as the song says, "Never took a life, but surely saved one"
"Set as I am in my ways..." etc, you know -"you were my witness" That's Maynard telling us that his "mum" (WTF>?) witnessed her values and beliefs to him. And he saw that in spite of her condition she found strength in her faith. Basically, Maynard has witnessed the power of faith and is sharing his take on it all.
For all of you whom are pissed about Maynard's apparent new spirituality phase:
YOU NEED TO LISTEN CLOSER...DEEPER....MAYNARD HAS BEEN SAYING THIS ALL ALONG! FIND OUT WHAT 46&2 REALLY MEANS. Strive to reach that next level and "choose to let this go"---"Spiral out...we may just go where no one's been"
Its alot about the power of the mind and our own control of our feelings and making the most of our time here: "Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.
Silly Monkeys....where's there's one they're bound to divide it....Right in Two!!!
Old 05-24-2006, 03:01 PM   #115
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8
Re: Hypocritical?

I love it so much when people get so wrapped up in the music or the band that they think they KNOW what the lyrics meant to the writer. TOOL/Maynard's lyrics are quite flexible and leave room for interpretations. All of this is pure speculation and each person's own interpretation. So in keeping that in mind here's MY take:
We all know what 10,000 days is. We've heard the song over and over and over again. This song is a tribute to his mother whom he loved dearly, as a good son does his mother. Judith Marie was a Christian woman who lived a Christian lifestyle. Maynard, angered by what had happened to his mother has often expressed his disdain for God.
But as the song says, "Never took a life, but surely saved one"
"Set as I am in my ways..." etc, you know -"you were my witness" That's Maynard telling us that his "mum" (WTF>?) witnessed her values and beliefs to him. And he saw that in spite of her condition she found strength in her faith. Basically, Maynard has witnessed the power of faith and is sharing his take on it all.
For all of you whom are pissed about Maynard's apparent new spirituality phase:
YOU NEED TO LISTEN CLOSER...DEEPER....MAYNARD HAS BEEN SAYING THIS ALL ALONG! FIND OUT WHAT 46&2 REALLY MEANS. Strive to reach that next level and "choose to let this go"---"Spiral out...we may just go where no one's been"
Its alot about the power of the mind and our own control of our feelings and making the most of our time here: "Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.
Silly Monkeys....where's there's one they're bound to divide it....Right in Two!!!