Thread: Hypocritical?
View Single Post
wags's Avatar wags
05-21-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp
And here we have the clearest indicator yet that you have no interest in an actual discussion, just in digging for ways to attack this song, or MJK for whatever reason it is you have.

This thread is titled "Hypocritcal?", with your initial argument being the somewhat flimsy assertation that because your shallow interpretation of the lyrics of the song run contrary to your assumptions about Maynard's personal beliefs, Maynard is a hypocrite. Now, having had several people attempt to explain to you how misguided this viewpoint is, you quietly shift the argument to whether or not the song is "touching". I'm aware that a lot of people have droned on endlessly about how this song or that song made them cry or moved them, but that is a wholy subjective assertation. The fact that you now attempt to quietly reframe this debate suggests to me that you're simply trolling for a fight.

I'll endulge you this far: Regardless of whether a peice of art is created as a reflection of the literal beliefs and opinions of the artist is, to most I believe, utterly irrelevant in it's emotional impact. If you have a personal grudge against an artist then sure, that's going to colour your interpretation of the art. But that's to do with you bringing you baggage into your experience of the work at hand. How touching something is is all about how the audience recieves it.

well stated.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #89
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Re: Hypocritical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp
And here we have the clearest indicator yet that you have no interest in an actual discussion, just in digging for ways to attack this song, or MJK for whatever reason it is you have.

This thread is titled "Hypocritcal?", with your initial argument being the somewhat flimsy assertation that because your shallow interpretation of the lyrics of the song run contrary to your assumptions about Maynard's personal beliefs, Maynard is a hypocrite. Now, having had several people attempt to explain to you how misguided this viewpoint is, you quietly shift the argument to whether or not the song is "touching". I'm aware that a lot of people have droned on endlessly about how this song or that song made them cry or moved them, but that is a wholy subjective assertation. The fact that you now attempt to quietly reframe this debate suggests to me that you're simply trolling for a fight.

I'll endulge you this far: Regardless of whether a peice of art is created as a reflection of the literal beliefs and opinions of the artist is, to most I believe, utterly irrelevant in it's emotional impact. If you have a personal grudge against an artist then sure, that's going to colour your interpretation of the art. But that's to do with you bringing you baggage into your experience of the work at hand. How touching something is is all about how the audience recieves it.

well stated.