View Single Post
topheronehalf's Avatar topheronehalf
06-20-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus_ View Post
The interesting thing I noticed throughout this concert was that TOOL seemed to not put in any of the long segues they had been doing. Also, there was no set break before Wings. This is when they sit on stage for a few minutes while the crowd holds up their lighters. They could have easily used this exact set-list and stretched it to 11:30, but instead chose to end at 11:00. That’s why I thought they were trying to hurry up and get in more songs. My friend and I were discussing this notion after we observed them hammering out the songs a bit quicker than normal. Strange, but maybe they had to leave the venue early? Or, just really don’t like to play that long?

This is exactly the thoughts and hope that jumped into my drugged out mind during the set. I guess a combination of factors were really getting my hopes up for something new and when they were very clearly speeding through the set I thought for a moment it had to be in order to fit in more stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast during the show, but at the same time I realized that you really only get to see Tool for the first time your first time and sorry, but that's a little sad. It's like knowing you'll never have an experience like your first psychedelic trip again.

That being said, the band was definitely very accurate, precise, and kick ass as always. It just hit me hard to realize that I can't really expect to have my world rocked like that first time.

Over all Bonnaroo encapsulated quite a series of dissapointing events, so the opinion is a bit biased, but come on. I'm sure the band, for all they talk about how much playing these songs night after night is exhausting and how difficult it is to continue to play them with the same passion and personality, you'd think they would want to switch it up more.

Another thought I've had is acknowledging the fact that Danny is still recovering. During the intermissions at the past 2 shows i saw prior to this, he had an ice pack on his arm the whole time. It's probably extremely painful for him to play long sets.

And this may just be my imagination, but I feel like while the videos are mostly the same each show, they've actually been unique in the ways that they are cut and made to reflect and "respond" to the music.

The laser show has been consistent the past 4 times I've seen them, but the videos are evolving in different ways. They could change up the set lists and still put on a sensory overload of the same caliber.

I will say this though, just so I don't come off as hating on the set: I'm downloading a bootleg of the show just so i can hear Morello's beautiful reworkings. If not for that, I would better treasure a bootleg with some sweet ambient jamz
Old 06-20-2007, 09:31 AM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/06/15 - Manchester, TN - Bonnaroo Festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus_ View Post
The interesting thing I noticed throughout this concert was that TOOL seemed to not put in any of the long segues they had been doing. Also, there was no set break before Wings. This is when they sit on stage for a few minutes while the crowd holds up their lighters. They could have easily used this exact set-list and stretched it to 11:30, but instead chose to end at 11:00. That’s why I thought they were trying to hurry up and get in more songs. My friend and I were discussing this notion after we observed them hammering out the songs a bit quicker than normal. Strange, but maybe they had to leave the venue early? Or, just really don’t like to play that long?

This is exactly the thoughts and hope that jumped into my drugged out mind during the set. I guess a combination of factors were really getting my hopes up for something new and when they were very clearly speeding through the set I thought for a moment it had to be in order to fit in more stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast during the show, but at the same time I realized that you really only get to see Tool for the first time your first time and sorry, but that's a little sad. It's like knowing you'll never have an experience like your first psychedelic trip again.

That being said, the band was definitely very accurate, precise, and kick ass as always. It just hit me hard to realize that I can't really expect to have my world rocked like that first time.

Over all Bonnaroo encapsulated quite a series of dissapointing events, so the opinion is a bit biased, but come on. I'm sure the band, for all they talk about how much playing these songs night after night is exhausting and how difficult it is to continue to play them with the same passion and personality, you'd think they would want to switch it up more.

Another thought I've had is acknowledging the fact that Danny is still recovering. During the intermissions at the past 2 shows i saw prior to this, he had an ice pack on his arm the whole time. It's probably extremely painful for him to play long sets.

And this may just be my imagination, but I feel like while the videos are mostly the same each show, they've actually been unique in the ways that they are cut and made to reflect and "respond" to the music.

The laser show has been consistent the past 4 times I've seen them, but the videos are evolving in different ways. They could change up the set lists and still put on a sensory overload of the same caliber.

I will say this though, just so I don't come off as hating on the set: I'm downloading a bootleg of the show just so i can hear Morello's beautiful reworkings. If not for that, I would better treasure a bootleg with some sweet ambient jamz