View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #67
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
THE WORST CONCERT I'VE EVER SEEN

That got your attention, didn't it :) For all you metalhead juiced up testosterone driven "dudes", I am kidding.

I've seen Tool a whole bunch a times, and this is arguably the best so far. Things got off to a bit of a slow start; the band came and did their job, indicative of being on the road for a long time and having this be close to the end. However, once warmed up, they proceeded to kill...... The longer ambient passages bathed in a lotsa darkness (which I happen to also love) were restricted to 10k days pts. 1 & 2. Beyond that, every #$%%^ song ripped razor sharp, loud and charging. This was a heavy rock show, where even the middle guitar drone portion of Schism was given a tune up, three plus tempos and done as an explosive speed metal before returning back to the original version. And all four of them could actually be SEEN this time around. Maynard, though still choosing to twist and turn in his version of an acid laced modern dancer after a bottle of Jack Daniels induced with hallucinagenic mushrooms in a wind tunnel was set against the backdrop, you could still make him out. A welcome return after having been subjected to Maynard shadow puppetry/dancing behind a scrim during the last Perfect Circle tour.

I think if some people didn't think they were too weird or dark, they may well be considered the greatest band out there. This is the only show where I am doing eye ping pong bak and forth, watching all the members doing their stuff. Rhythmically, stylistically, technically they are untouchable. I've listened a millioin times and I still can't count some of those time signatures.

Buying the CD's and seeing the concerts is worth every cent.
OFFLINE |