View Single Post
withSpirit
07-25-2009, 03:54 PM

This was a fantastic show. Even though the vocals were mixed a little low, this is the best I've heard Maynard sing live since 2002. While he's obviously lost some of his high range, his voice has loosened up a lot in the past week, and he was spot on key all night. He was also considerably more talkative than he was in 06 and 07.

Strangely, I've seen a couple of reviews saying the show was sloppy- It was not. Take it from a trained drummer who is OCD about note placement and musical precision...this show was very, very tight. Each member of the band showed his skill, as an individual and as part of a team. The musical prowess of Tool is second to none. The acoustics in the AT&T Center were a little muddled, but not nearly enough to mask how brilliantly the band played all night. Let me say, for the record, if you are considering selling your tickets because of the redundant set list, you should not. The new visuals, particularly the new laser action and the Vicarious video, are absolutely worth going to see, even if you've heard the songs live in the past. Superbly done, Junior.

As far as each of the songs, Jambi was incredible. Stinkfist isn't as dynamic of a song, so it sounded a little noisy, but that was probably the low point of the show. 46 & 2 had a lot of energy, and Maynard seemed to really get into the vocals. Schism was beautiful, and Maynard was actually able to sing the 2nd and 3rd verses and the climax without struggling much at all, which is rare. Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned were just ecstasy, though like everyone else has noted, I couldn't understand any of the rapid vocal sections. He has changed the lyrics. Flood and Aenema were both spot on. Lateralus simply couldn't have been any better, and was probably the most energetic part of the show. Justin put on a massive cowboy hat (for Texas) and faked a jump kick at Danny's drum kit. The drum solo extension was well played by both Danny Carey and the drummer from Tweakbird (even though Tweakbird as a band is atrociously boring and pretty much devoid of any melody). Maynard obviously did not sing the end of Vicarious, but the song sounded as tight as the album, enough said.

I didn't notice too much improv or extra energy from Adam tonight, but Justin very engaged, as was Maynard. I would like to take a second to say that Danny Carey's playing is simply the pinnacle of percussion. There is no one better, anywhere, ever. My sister and girlfriend, both whom are highly skilled musicians, were completely blown away by the fact that he NAILED every single note, and even improvised during some of the more difficult, usually concrete polymetric sections. When you haven't seen Tool before, as they hadn't, it's hard to imagine somebody actually playing all of that live. Last night, Danny Carey did that, and then some. I've seen Tool several times, and I think this was probably the best I've seen him play. He just gets better with age.

Great show all around. The high points for me were definitely the whole of Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned and Lateralus. After a rough couple of first dates, and despite the fact that I had already heard all of the songs live before, Tool have skyrocketed right back to being the best live band in the world, and they remain the best band in the world, in my opinion.

By the way, (-)Ions was played between Jambi and Stinkfist if no one has yet mentioned that.

I would also like to add the following:
I've seen a couple of reviews insulting the 10,000 Days album. To those reviewers, I say you had better start getting over it. 10,000 Days is musical genius, and Tool know it. They've said it's much closer to the album they want to make than any of the older albums were. The "veteran" or "old school" fans don't like it, because it's not the simplistic bullshit they grew up with that was on Opiate, and Undertow to an extent. These songs on 10,000 Days are the most technically elaborate and musically sophisticated that Tool have ever written, and that is why they choose to play them live. They have reached the point where they want to convey intelligence, beauty, intensity, and complexity, rather than conveying the relatively directionless anger and aggression of their early music. If you think the epics like Wings for Marie/10k Days, Rosetta Stoned, and Right in Two are boring, then I would assert that you are not worthy of Tool. You do not have the patience to appreciate their greatest art so far, and you do not have the intelligence to process it. I would suggest re-evaluating your feelings for this incredible band that you claim to love, because they are absolutely evolving further in the direction of the 10,000 Days album.

Last edited by withSpirit; 07-25-2009 at 04:19 PM..
Old 07-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #26
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.24.09 - San Antonio, TX @ AT&T Center

This was a fantastic show. Even though the vocals were mixed a little low, this is the best I've heard Maynard sing live since 2002. While he's obviously lost some of his high range, his voice has loosened up a lot in the past week, and he was spot on key all night. He was also considerably more talkative than he was in 06 and 07.

Strangely, I've seen a couple of reviews saying the show was sloppy- It was not. Take it from a trained drummer who is OCD about note placement and musical precision...this show was very, very tight. Each member of the band showed his skill, as an individual and as part of a team. The musical prowess of Tool is second to none. The acoustics in the AT&T Center were a little muddled, but not nearly enough to mask how brilliantly the band played all night. Let me say, for the record, if you are considering selling your tickets because of the redundant set list, you should not. The new visuals, particularly the new laser action and the Vicarious video, are absolutely worth going to see, even if you've heard the songs live in the past. Superbly done, Junior.

As far as each of the songs, Jambi was incredible. Stinkfist isn't as dynamic of a song, so it sounded a little noisy, but that was probably the low point of the show. 46 & 2 had a lot of energy, and Maynard seemed to really get into the vocals. Schism was beautiful, and Maynard was actually able to sing the 2nd and 3rd verses and the climax without struggling much at all, which is rare. Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned were just ecstasy, though like everyone else has noted, I couldn't understand any of the rapid vocal sections. He has changed the lyrics. Flood and Aenema were both spot on. Lateralus simply couldn't have been any better, and was probably the most energetic part of the show. Justin put on a massive cowboy hat (for Texas) and faked a jump kick at Danny's drum kit. The drum solo extension was well played by both Danny Carey and the drummer from Tweakbird (even though Tweakbird as a band is atrociously boring and pretty much devoid of any melody). Maynard obviously did not sing the end of Vicarious, but the song sounded as tight as the album, enough said.

I didn't notice too much improv or extra energy from Adam tonight, but Justin very engaged, as was Maynard. I would like to take a second to say that Danny Carey's playing is simply the pinnacle of percussion. There is no one better, anywhere, ever. My sister and girlfriend, both whom are highly skilled musicians, were completely blown away by the fact that he NAILED every single note, and even improvised during some of the more difficult, usually concrete polymetric sections. When you haven't seen Tool before, as they hadn't, it's hard to imagine somebody actually playing all of that live. Last night, Danny Carey did that, and then some. I've seen Tool several times, and I think this was probably the best I've seen him play. He just gets better with age.

Great show all around. The high points for me were definitely the whole of Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned and Lateralus. After a rough couple of first dates, and despite the fact that I had already heard all of the songs live before, Tool have skyrocketed right back to being the best live band in the world, and they remain the best band in the world, in my opinion.

By the way, (-)Ions was played between Jambi and Stinkfist if no one has yet mentioned that.

I would also like to add the following:
I've seen a couple of reviews insulting the 10,000 Days album. To those reviewers, I say you had better start getting over it. 10,000 Days is musical genius, and Tool know it. They've said it's much closer to the album they want to make than any of the older albums were. The "veteran" or "old school" fans don't like it, because it's not the simplistic bullshit they grew up with that was on Opiate, and Undertow to an extent. These songs on 10,000 Days are the most technically elaborate and musically sophisticated that Tool have ever written, and that is why they choose to play them live. They have reached the point where they want to convey intelligence, beauty, intensity, and complexity, rather than conveying the relatively directionless anger and aggression of their early music. If you think the epics like Wings for Marie/10k Days, Rosetta Stoned, and Right in Two are boring, then I would assert that you are not worthy of Tool. You do not have the patience to appreciate their greatest art so far, and you do not have the intelligence to process it. I would suggest re-evaluating your feelings for this incredible band that you claim to love, because they are absolutely evolving further in the direction of the 10,000 Days album.

Last edited by withSpirit; 07-25-2009 at 04:19 PM..
OFFLINE |