View Single Post
megatom5
07-29-2009, 09:16 PM

This is my 4th Tool show. I saw them twice touring for lateralus and then the Bonnaroo show in 07 and this one. I've gotta say I was a little hesitant to even go to this show I bought tickets back in June and ever since I saw the first setlist posted I felt something I've never felt before apathy about seeing Tool. Since my formative years of music listening I've been a huge Tool fan, and seeing them put such little effort into a new show is kind of heart breaking honestly. Don't get me wrong the performance tonight was quite good, but it was a good performance of a very tired act. To go into more depth Justin sounded amazing Adam was pretty much spot on and of course Danny just kills everytime. I also liked some of the new visuals especially the stuff projected on the floor. I almost feel bad for the people in the pit because some of the coolest stuff could only be seen from above. Also I thought the sound was pretty good from where I was.

But onto the bad part, Maynard doesn't seem to be trying very hard. he uses the voice distortion thing way too much and it downs out his vocals and he uses it in a good deal of songs that don't have any vocal distortion at all. Some songs still have tight vocals like Schism and Stinkfist but Rosetta Stoned just does not translate well as a live song at least with the vocal part. Also I'm sorry but these shows are kind of a rip off honestly. Think about it, every other time I've seen them they played for about two and a half hours with very little filler in between. This show they played for less than two hours and had nearly a half hour of that being filler/ ambient noise. I have to say that I'm not a fan of Adam's synthesizer intros they just don't mesh well with the songs usually, and lets face the facts all the time spent on these they could being playing a real song. It got to the point that nearly half the people around me would sit down in between songs because of the long drawn out intros. I even timed the intro to Lateralus it took over 4 minutes in that time they could have fit Sober, any number of songs from Opiate. Also what's the deal with the band just standing there for 5 minutes midway through the show? I have to say that overall I'm glad I went, I mean I guess it would have been worse to waste the $60 ticket, but I feel like I got ripped off by my favorite band. I saw Metallica last fall with lamb of god and the sword all for $80, the show lasted almost four hours, I just expect more from a band of this caliber and I know they are capable of so much better. I was talking with some random couple as I was leaving and they basically said this was the last Tool show they would go to because they had seen them thrice now with the same show, I told them they used to be really good with the setlist on lateralus tour. I hate to say it but I might agree with them at least if they keep playing the same shit. And for all the fans who for some reason are acting like their not disappointed in this tour, don't just call me pessimist try to read between the lines.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.29.09 - Charlotte, NC @ Bojangle's Coliseum

This is my 4th Tool show. I saw them twice touring for lateralus and then the Bonnaroo show in 07 and this one. I've gotta say I was a little hesitant to even go to this show I bought tickets back in June and ever since I saw the first setlist posted I felt something I've never felt before apathy about seeing Tool. Since my formative years of music listening I've been a huge Tool fan, and seeing them put such little effort into a new show is kind of heart breaking honestly. Don't get me wrong the performance tonight was quite good, but it was a good performance of a very tired act. To go into more depth Justin sounded amazing Adam was pretty much spot on and of course Danny just kills everytime. I also liked some of the new visuals especially the stuff projected on the floor. I almost feel bad for the people in the pit because some of the coolest stuff could only be seen from above. Also I thought the sound was pretty good from where I was.

But onto the bad part, Maynard doesn't seem to be trying very hard. he uses the voice distortion thing way too much and it downs out his vocals and he uses it in a good deal of songs that don't have any vocal distortion at all. Some songs still have tight vocals like Schism and Stinkfist but Rosetta Stoned just does not translate well as a live song at least with the vocal part. Also I'm sorry but these shows are kind of a rip off honestly. Think about it, every other time I've seen them they played for about two and a half hours with very little filler in between. This show they played for less than two hours and had nearly a half hour of that being filler/ ambient noise. I have to say that I'm not a fan of Adam's synthesizer intros they just don't mesh well with the songs usually, and lets face the facts all the time spent on these they could being playing a real song. It got to the point that nearly half the people around me would sit down in between songs because of the long drawn out intros. I even timed the intro to Lateralus it took over 4 minutes in that time they could have fit Sober, any number of songs from Opiate. Also what's the deal with the band just standing there for 5 minutes midway through the show? I have to say that overall I'm glad I went, I mean I guess it would have been worse to waste the $60 ticket, but I feel like I got ripped off by my favorite band. I saw Metallica last fall with lamb of god and the sword all for $80, the show lasted almost four hours, I just expect more from a band of this caliber and I know they are capable of so much better. I was talking with some random couple as I was leaving and they basically said this was the last Tool show they would go to because they had seen them thrice now with the same show, I told them they used to be really good with the setlist on lateralus tour. I hate to say it but I might agree with them at least if they keep playing the same shit. And for all the fans who for some reason are acting like their not disappointed in this tour, don't just call me pessimist try to read between the lines.
OFFLINE |