View Single Post
eslupminoyler's Avatar eslupminoyler
06-19-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holotrope
hmmmm... i don't know where to start with this one, but I'll keep it simple:

I think what Maynard is talking about is the simple sense of wonder that there is something beyond what we see, hear, taste, and smell. Experience is an important part of life, but there is more to think about than that. The song is (on one level) about people overlooking ideals while satisfying their gross desires/impulses. I think this does have its reflection in many religions/faiths/creed/spiritual disciplines, but it's limited to that. Basically, "lifting an eye to heaven" is considering possibilities outside our individual desires and recognizing a common humanity between us that transcends our petty selfishness.

We're not repugnant because we don't look up to God, but because we don't stop to consider the bigger picture before satisfying ourselves in our own little image of the world. Think of 'heaven' here as a Platonic heaven- it's where the ideals of all our imperfect concepts live, but if we don't look up to them, we are bound to dwell in ever increasing cycles of imperfection rather than striving towards those ideals and perfecting ourselves.
Well we are repugnant because part of our nature is, but what I said was...
We aren't repugnant because we choose not to look to God for answers, but because we deny the possibility and the chance to test this-to look to God for answers. So basically our own angst and stagnancy has rendered our hearts cold, heavy, and brittle.
We deny love, and God is unconditional love.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:30 AM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I live in Heaven, but I'm on a vacation without my passport to get back.
Bincount™: 7
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by holotrope
hmmmm... i don't know where to start with this one, but I'll keep it simple:

I think what Maynard is talking about is the simple sense of wonder that there is something beyond what we see, hear, taste, and smell. Experience is an important part of life, but there is more to think about than that. The song is (on one level) about people overlooking ideals while satisfying their gross desires/impulses. I think this does have its reflection in many religions/faiths/creed/spiritual disciplines, but it's limited to that. Basically, "lifting an eye to heaven" is considering possibilities outside our individual desires and recognizing a common humanity between us that transcends our petty selfishness.

We're not repugnant because we don't look up to God, but because we don't stop to consider the bigger picture before satisfying ourselves in our own little image of the world. Think of 'heaven' here as a Platonic heaven- it's where the ideals of all our imperfect concepts live, but if we don't look up to them, we are bound to dwell in ever increasing cycles of imperfection rather than striving towards those ideals and perfecting ourselves.
Well we are repugnant because part of our nature is, but what I said was...
We aren't repugnant because we choose not to look to God for answers, but because we deny the possibility and the chance to test this-to look to God for answers. So basically our own angst and stagnancy has rendered our hearts cold, heavy, and brittle.
We deny love, and God is unconditional love.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote