View Single Post
holotrope's Avatar holotrope
06-14-2006, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.

"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.

hmmmm... i don't know where to start with this one, but I'll keep it simple:

I think what Maynard is talking about is the simple sense of wonder that there is something beyond what we see, hear, taste, and smell. Experience is an important part of life, but there is more to think about than that. The song is (on one level) about people overlooking ideals while satisfying their gross desires/impulses. I think this does have its reflection in many religions/faiths/creed/spiritual disciplines, but it's limited to that. Basically, "lifting an eye to heaven" is considering possibilities outside our individual desires and recognizing a common humanity between us that transcends our petty selfishness.

We're not repugnant because we don't look up to God, but because we don't stop to consider the bigger picture before satisfying ourselves in our own little image of the world. Think of 'heaven' here as a Platonic heaven- it's where the ideals of all our imperfect concepts live, but if we don't look up to them, we are bound to dwell in ever increasing cycles of imperfection rather than striving towards those ideals and perfecting ourselves.
Help people, you lazy bum
Old 06-14-2006, 07:17 AM   #11
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 21
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.

"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.

hmmmm... i don't know where to start with this one, but I'll keep it simple:

I think what Maynard is talking about is the simple sense of wonder that there is something beyond what we see, hear, taste, and smell. Experience is an important part of life, but there is more to think about than that. The song is (on one level) about people overlooking ideals while satisfying their gross desires/impulses. I think this does have its reflection in many religions/faiths/creed/spiritual disciplines, but it's limited to that. Basically, "lifting an eye to heaven" is considering possibilities outside our individual desires and recognizing a common humanity between us that transcends our petty selfishness.

We're not repugnant because we don't look up to God, but because we don't stop to consider the bigger picture before satisfying ourselves in our own little image of the world. Think of 'heaven' here as a Platonic heaven- it's where the ideals of all our imperfect concepts live, but if we don't look up to them, we are bound to dwell in ever increasing cycles of imperfection rather than striving towards those ideals and perfecting ourselves.
Help people, you lazy bum
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote