View Single Post
j1m
06-14-2006, 03:36 AM

i think hes saying that humans are the only living beings on earth that are conscience that they will die (not just that they might die). with that in mind and in light of the other lyric 'monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground' why would we want to speed this process up by sencelessly killing each other over somthing that is constantly chaging anyway??

i don't think maynard is saying to raise an eye to heaven and fear the creator so that you don't go to hell that's what your average catholic would have do, that runs against tha grain of what i think tool are on about.

personally i rekon this song is a masterpiece a stand alone cos not only does it talk about creation but also evolution as well as in a way asking the question what would the angels/god/jesus (beings that i think only exist in our minds and are only as real as our minds) think of the human species actions? maynard is right in saying that they would be 'puzzeled and amused'. by comparing us to monkeys i think he's trying to bring in the obviousnes of our evolution and at the same time emphasizing the fact that these actions are without reason. i've laid awake at nite trying to come up with a valid reason for one country invading another but have been unsuccesfull, i've come to the conclusion that there can be no reason for an act of war esspecially when 'god blessed them with all reason'

in a way we all live forever cos if u think about it the time we have here is infinite by that i mean you can't predict with any certainty the time of death so what do we call an undefined number?
Old 06-14-2006, 03:36 AM   #5
j1m
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

i think hes saying that humans are the only living beings on earth that are conscience that they will die (not just that they might die). with that in mind and in light of the other lyric 'monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground' why would we want to speed this process up by sencelessly killing each other over somthing that is constantly chaging anyway??

i don't think maynard is saying to raise an eye to heaven and fear the creator so that you don't go to hell that's what your average catholic would have do, that runs against tha grain of what i think tool are on about.

personally i rekon this song is a masterpiece a stand alone cos not only does it talk about creation but also evolution as well as in a way asking the question what would the angels/god/jesus (beings that i think only exist in our minds and are only as real as our minds) think of the human species actions? maynard is right in saying that they would be 'puzzeled and amused'. by comparing us to monkeys i think he's trying to bring in the obviousnes of our evolution and at the same time emphasizing the fact that these actions are without reason. i've laid awake at nite trying to come up with a valid reason for one country invading another but have been unsuccesfull, i've come to the conclusion that there can be no reason for an act of war esspecially when 'god blessed them with all reason'

in a way we all live forever cos if u think about it the time we have here is infinite by that i mean you can't predict with any certainty the time of death so what do we call an undefined number?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote