View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 06:31 PM   #87
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/18 - Chicago, IL - Allstate Arena

This was offcially my first Tool concert and, for the most part, I was not dissapointed. As this is also officially my first entry, I'll give a very brief background. Started listening to Tool in 1996. First album - Undertow. Really became a fan after listening to Aenima. Just recently purchased Opiate - can't believe I waited so long. It's amazing and raw. Although the band has progressed musically, I still find myself drawn to earlier works: 1992-1996 (Opiate, Undertow, Aenima). I like Laterlus and 10,000 Days in terms of the complexity of the music, but miss the anger, energy and rawness.

The Concert: To some extent, my reaction to the 9-18-06 concert (Allstate Arena) reflects my feelings about the progression of Tool's music. The concert began with Stinkfist, which electrified the audience, and ended with Aenima - produced a similar effect. Maynard, despite battling illness, sounded incredible. He performed several songs that pushed him vocally and he rose to the occasion. I understand that tool had to cancel the next day's event. Thus I feel fortunate and appreciative of the fact that Maynard was willing to push himself so hard. However, songs from Opiate and Undertow were absent. I was hoping for just one or two numbers from the old days. The mid-part of the concert was, to some extent, lacking as songs from 10,000 days and laterlus predominated. These songs are incredible, don't get me wrong. I appreciate the direction that Tool's music has taken, but found it difficult to stay connected during some of the 8-10 minute epics. That said, the song 10,000 days was haunting and I found myself pulled back in as the end of the song gradually intensified. Again, I just would have liked to heard some stuff from 1992.

Last Note: I was somewhat suprised by maynard's presentation. Video clips of past concerts that I have found on the internet generally show Tool's frontman as a shadowy figure, far removed from the audience, and painted in various colors (typically half blue and half white). Last night, Maynard looked every bit the rock star that I didn't expect him to be. Although he very rarely moved to the front of the stage (opting, instead, to stay in the background, next to Danny Carey), he remained quite visible and animated. Flexing his body in ways that were matrix-like and wearing only a tight pair of bluejeans (with large beltbuckle), cowboy boots (I think), and a cowboy hat. At one point, before starting his next number, Maynard laid on his back, his arms stretched wide, with his head tilted back facing the audience. The crowd went nuts; they were adoring their frontman. And, it seemed to me, that the only reason Maynard took this position was to evoke such adoration. At about this time, my female friend (very new to tool and also attending her first concert) stated, "He's really sexy; I didn't expect him to be sexy." I guess I didn't either. I think I expected that shadowy figure, a brooding, intense, and angry figure, whose presentation was consistent with the lyrics he was singing. This was not the case. I don't think I'm dissapointed - Maynard was very entertaining. I guess I was (and still am) just surprised. Maybe those of you who are veterans of tool concerts could educate me.

Overall, the concert did not dissapoint. I truly believe that Tool is one of the greatest bands to surface in the last decade and a half. Their talent is obvious in the albums they put out, and it was obvious last night. If the opportunity arises, I would definetely go see them again.
OFFLINE |