View Single Post
samojed
09-03-2007, 06:46 PM

Also disappointed. Not much with the setlist, because a short show was to be expected, and it was absolutely amazing seeing Flood, but mostly with Maynard's lack of interest. That's also something to be expected, as he obviously no longer has the fire he used to have, but not to sing any high pitched melodies is simply intolerable, it totally ruined the show. When the "Overwhelmed as one would be..." part of Rosetta came, he didn't even bother to sing it and I couldn't believe it. Even Justin looked over his shoulder to see what the fuck was going on. The climax of the song and the singer remains mute.

Reading about Maynard's throat problems a bit later, I chilled a bit. I can't put much blame onto him, but he really should put more effort and not save his voice all the time. Whatever happened to the man who never missed a note and sang everything a few years ago?

Granted, festivals are not their natural environment, but the band was also not at their best. They fell apart at the end of Rosetta and I still remember the expression of helplessness on Danny's face. The fact that the computer crashed didn't help either. The projector showed the page on the laptop screen that reported the crash, and I thought that was actually the planned backdrop for Flood, hahaha! People occasionally booed them, and while I didn't, I can't really blame them. The worst Tool show I've seen, really half-steam as someone said. The band looked kind of embarrassed in the end, as if they couldn't believe that they were actually applauded. They hugged merely because that's the way they end shows, but one could tell they were uncomfortable.

I really hope they get in better form for the shows to follow.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/08/13 - Budapest, Hungary - Sziget Festival

Also disappointed. Not much with the setlist, because a short show was to be expected, and it was absolutely amazing seeing Flood, but mostly with Maynard's lack of interest. That's also something to be expected, as he obviously no longer has the fire he used to have, but not to sing any high pitched melodies is simply intolerable, it totally ruined the show. When the "Overwhelmed as one would be..." part of Rosetta came, he didn't even bother to sing it and I couldn't believe it. Even Justin looked over his shoulder to see what the fuck was going on. The climax of the song and the singer remains mute.

Reading about Maynard's throat problems a bit later, I chilled a bit. I can't put much blame onto him, but he really should put more effort and not save his voice all the time. Whatever happened to the man who never missed a note and sang everything a few years ago?

Granted, festivals are not their natural environment, but the band was also not at their best. They fell apart at the end of Rosetta and I still remember the expression of helplessness on Danny's face. The fact that the computer crashed didn't help either. The projector showed the page on the laptop screen that reported the crash, and I thought that was actually the planned backdrop for Flood, hahaha! People occasionally booed them, and while I didn't, I can't really blame them. The worst Tool show I've seen, really half-steam as someone said. The band looked kind of embarrassed in the end, as if they couldn't believe that they were actually applauded. They hugged merely because that's the way they end shows, but one could tell they were uncomfortable.

I really hope they get in better form for the shows to follow.
OFFLINE |