View Single Post
90hoursleep's Avatar 90hoursleep
07-19-2007, 01:03 PM

This was my 6th tool show, 2nd of this current tour (along with AC), and as usual Tool never ceases to disappoint. The element of surprise for me personally was lacking since I did see them already on this tour, however this in a sense allowed me to soak in the experience much more.

Big Business kicked ass last night. Unfortunatley, they suffered from the "opening band sound" syndrome. The vocals sounded very static-y throughout the set (was sitting in 403, the furthest I ever sat at PNC), but by knowing the music and the awesome musical performance they put on I was able to overcome it. The boos at the end were priceless.

Tool kicked ass as usual, I understand that its basically the same set of songs each time but each song's presentation and the experience that comes with it never gets old. I can see them do Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, or 10K Days each time I see them and never get tired of it. The visuals and lighting for this tour are stunning, honestly maybe better than those of the Lateralus tours (and those tours were fuckin amazing).

Highlights were by far Lateralus and Flood. Last night had to be the best rendition of Lateralus live I have ever witnessed. As everyone said, the drum battle was absolutley sick. Cody can drum with the best of them, as he proved yesterday (even covered in toilet paper). Completeley destroyed Melt Banana's drummer from last month's AC show, and thats an understatement. As for Flood, what can I say. The only song last night that I had yet to see live and it did not disappoint. The full-on intro was mezmerizing and they completely nailed it. It almost seemed like a breath of fresh air hearing a track from Undertow. Awesome.

They were a few negatives about the show, the obvious one being the venue. I understand PNC is cracking down on underage drinking (due to the Gwen Stefani show incident in May at PNC) but damn they dont have to be so anal about it. Also, the crowd seemed very, well, dead in my section (403). Only a few people seemed to be into the music while everyone just stood (or sat) and stared (maybe they were high i dont know). Either way, past Tool shows Ive seen much more excitement (example, City Center last year and MSG in '01) from the crowd. It also seemed like no one knew Flood or some of the new material, but only Vicarious, Schism and Stinkfist. Oh well, didnt nearly hurt my night but that sense of excitement that was lacking always adds another dimension to the show. And finally, I was hoping for a Pushit/Flood back-to-back like in Boston, but hey cant always get what you want.

All in all, it was a great night, and hopefully theyll be back in the Fall. Cant wait till then.

Last edited by 90hoursleep; 07-20-2007 at 04:04 AM..
Old 07-19-2007, 01:03 PM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3
Re: 2007/07/18 - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Arts Center

This was my 6th tool show, 2nd of this current tour (along with AC), and as usual Tool never ceases to disappoint. The element of surprise for me personally was lacking since I did see them already on this tour, however this in a sense allowed me to soak in the experience much more.

Big Business kicked ass last night. Unfortunatley, they suffered from the "opening band sound" syndrome. The vocals sounded very static-y throughout the set (was sitting in 403, the furthest I ever sat at PNC), but by knowing the music and the awesome musical performance they put on I was able to overcome it. The boos at the end were priceless.

Tool kicked ass as usual, I understand that its basically the same set of songs each time but each song's presentation and the experience that comes with it never gets old. I can see them do Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, or 10K Days each time I see them and never get tired of it. The visuals and lighting for this tour are stunning, honestly maybe better than those of the Lateralus tours (and those tours were fuckin amazing).

Highlights were by far Lateralus and Flood. Last night had to be the best rendition of Lateralus live I have ever witnessed. As everyone said, the drum battle was absolutley sick. Cody can drum with the best of them, as he proved yesterday (even covered in toilet paper). Completeley destroyed Melt Banana's drummer from last month's AC show, and thats an understatement. As for Flood, what can I say. The only song last night that I had yet to see live and it did not disappoint. The full-on intro was mezmerizing and they completely nailed it. It almost seemed like a breath of fresh air hearing a track from Undertow. Awesome.

They were a few negatives about the show, the obvious one being the venue. I understand PNC is cracking down on underage drinking (due to the Gwen Stefani show incident in May at PNC) but damn they dont have to be so anal about it. Also, the crowd seemed very, well, dead in my section (403). Only a few people seemed to be into the music while everyone just stood (or sat) and stared (maybe they were high i dont know). Either way, past Tool shows Ive seen much more excitement (example, City Center last year and MSG in '01) from the crowd. It also seemed like no one knew Flood or some of the new material, but only Vicarious, Schism and Stinkfist. Oh well, didnt nearly hurt my night but that sense of excitement that was lacking always adds another dimension to the show. And finally, I was hoping for a Pushit/Flood back-to-back like in Boston, but hey cant always get what you want.

All in all, it was a great night, and hopefully theyll be back in the Fall. Cant wait till then.

Last edited by 90hoursleep; 07-20-2007 at 04:04 AM..
OFFLINE |